Mystery flat tyres - no, not in that way

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited April 2016 in Workshop
... they appear to be seated more deeply in the rims at one spot (on both tyres) than the rest of the way round. They have a reflective band which is clearly about 8mm from the rims: 20160424_190513.jpg
except for here:
20160424_190358.jpg
No amount of poking, pushing or bodging seems to fix this.
The bike is a PX XLS, the rims are the bike's original WTB ST i19 tubeless compatible, and the tyres Conti Sport Contact - they too are the original ones it came with but I changed them straight away for winter studded tyres, so they are brand new. I didn't have any trouble with the studded tyres but frankly, they run so rough they could be hanging half off the rims and no-one would ever notice.

Anyone got any clues as to how I get this sorted? Could it be something to do with the tubeless compatible rims, is there some trick I need to know?

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Smear washing up liquid on beads and pump them up really hard (130-plus). That should help them pop into place.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've had that with tyres with a reflective strip - and it's not the tyre seating but the strip that's off. The strip was just applied slightly off centre.

Is the tyre wobbling up and down as it rotates or can you just see it in the tyre moulding and reflective strip. If it's the latter then there's nothing you can do.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    How wide are conti Sport Contact tyres ? Maybe they are too narrow for a MTB rim.
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    What inner tubes are you using, are they definitely the correct size for the tyres?
  • Border Cyclist
    Border Cyclist Posts: 1,279
    k-dog wrote:
    I've had that with tyres with a reflective strip - and it's not the tyre seating but the strip that's off. The strip was just applied slightly off centre.

Is the tyre wobbling up and down as it rotates or can you just see it in the tyre moulding and reflective strip. If it's the latter then there's nothing you can do.

I would be tempted to follow this advice first :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    k-dog wrote:

I would be tempted to follow this advice first :wink:
    I should have pointed out that yes, the tyres are actually uneven - you can see it when you spin them, and feel it when you pedal.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Okay, well what he said then.

I'd let them down first and try and get them in roughly the right position - then pump them up and see what happens - should pop into place with enough pressure.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.