Planet X RT80 custom build

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
edited April 2016 in Your road bikes
This started off as a frame swap (picked the frame up for a great price in the 1 day xmas sale) from my PX pro carbon but quickly got out of hand. It shares the same groupset but most other parts are new. I will post a full spec later on but basically its ultegra 10 speed, (6600SL with 6700 shifters), 6800 brakes, praxis works rings, zipp service course sl bars & stem, Farsports 38mm wheels, vittoria open corsa tyres and various other finishing parts. I have loved my pro carbon and ridden it for many thousands of miles over the last 5 years I've owned it but just felt like a change, this is much stiffer, accelerates without a moments hesitation....cant wait for the next few thousand miles.... steerer needs cutting but stem is now in its final position.... White saddle/tape will be staying, I like it that way.

VKdvOWP.jpg

Comments

• Nodey
    Nodey Posts: 63
    Now that I do like. Well done that man.

How do you find the 6800 calliper and 6700 shifter combo. I really like the look of the 6800 callipers but had this idea they had different cable pull to the 6700.

Do they seem to work well in practice?
  • ravey1981
    Nodey wrote:
    Now that I do like. Well done that man.

How do you find the 6800 calliper and 6700 shifter combo. I really like the look of the 6800 callipers but had this idea they had different cable pull to the 6700.

Do they seem to work well in practice?

Thanks, just been for second ride on it tonight, more than happy with how it has turned out.

Cable pull is very slightly different with 6700 to 6800 but in real life they work perfectly, never needed any more power put it that way. Using swiss stop black prince on these rims and used swiss stop green flash on alloy rims.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Congrats - that looks really good..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    nice!
    left the forum March 2023
  • theraggyone
    theraggyone Posts: 147
    Looking good, ive got a viner mitus that I upgraded to from my pro carbon (same frame as the rt90) did the same as you really. There a lovely ride cant get enough of mine
  • That looks well.........
  • Mr Stamp
    Mr Stamp Posts: 58
    Bike looks very smart - can I ask what tyres they are and how you get on with them. I fancy some of these.
  • ravey1981
    Mr Stamp wrote:
    Bike looks very smart - can I ask what tyres they are and how you get on with them. I fancy some of these.

Vittoria open corsa sc2. Too early to give a valid response really but they seem to have plenty of grip and are pretty comfortable given that the frame is fairly stiff. They are a very soft tyre so not sure how long they will last or stand up to punctures but so far so good...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Mr Stamp wrote:

Vittoria open corsa sc2. Too early to give a valid response really but they seem to have plenty of grip and are pretty comfortable given that the frame is fairly stiff. They are a very soft tyre so not sure how long they will last or stand up to punctures but so far so good...

I had a pair of those... destroyed the side wall on a 10 metres section of cobbles... the weakest tyre I've ever had... nice though!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Done that with the new Michelin Power last week. Back on Schwalbe now. (Though, to be fair, Michelin have positioned hte Power Comp as racing and the Endurance arguably replaces the Pro 4)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Mr Stamp wrote:

I had a pair of those... destroyed the side wall on a 10 metres section of cobbles... the weakest tyre I've ever had... nice though!

Yes they are very, very thin and feel like they are made of no more than fluff, hopes and prayers. However they are exceedingly pretty and that is why they are on there. If they do destroy themselves I'll be on the lookout for some more tanwalls...finding a strong, light one seems difficult though.... any recommendations?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ravey1981 wrote:
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Mr Stamp wrote:

Yes they are very, very thin and feel like they are made of no more than fluff, hopes and prayers. However they are exceedingly pretty and that is why they are on there. If they do destroy themselves I'll be on the lookout for some more tanwalls...finding a strong, light one seems difficult though.... any recommendations?

Nothing as pretty, no. Panaracer Pasela, but you might be laughed at the cafe...