Pro riders on Strava

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited April 2016 in Pro race
How the hell do you find them ? There are so many fake wannabees on Strava !!
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• How the hell do you find them ? There are so many fake wannabees on Strava !!

Strava thoughtfully provided the "pro" banner for those getting paid to ride their bikes.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • How the hell do you find them ? There are so many fake wannabees on Strava !!

Dupe
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Follow someone riding Liege Bastogne Liege today (I recommend Kwiatkowski) and when he posts his ride later all the other riders that have uploaded will be linked in and you can add them all.

Then just add the riders they train with, as invariably they will also be pros...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dowsett is good as he posts a lot of his normal rides. Depressing how fast his easy rides are though...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    16 of the top 20 times on one of my local segments were taken by ToB riders (with van Baarle and Kwia 1 and 2). The hill (1km 9%) was less than 20km into the stage and uncategorised - they weren't even trying.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    :D - that's why they're Pros :)
  • Do people still complain pros shouldn't be allowed KOMs ?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Look for the segments along the Embankment in London - about first 50 places are all pro-riders. Frankly if someone is claiming to be Niki Terpstra and doing 65km up an incline I would be tempted to believe it actually was Niki Terpstra not some pretender. Big Ben Sprint is a good one to find pros - although I am in the top40 so by no means every time up there is one.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Some interesting comparisons on "Pro Cyclists Data" site.
    eg.

https://twitter.com/procyclistsdata/sta ... 0018455552
  • imatfaal wrote:
    Look for the segments along the Embankment in London - about first 50 places are all pro-riders. Frankly if someone is claiming to be Niki Terpstra and doing 65km up an incline I would be tempted to believe it actually was Niki Terpstra not some pretender. Big Ben Sprint is a good one to find pros - although I am in the top40 so by no means every time up there is one.

The best thing is some twat writing in a newsletter for some outfit called the British Drivers Alliance, quoting 2013 ToB Embankment strava times as 'proof' of commuters breaking the speed limit and racing...
  • rick_chasey
    Ah real embankment commuters pay attention to where they rank that day and how they did that year ;)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal wrote:

The best thing is some fool writing in a newsletter for some outfit called the British Drivers Alliance, quoting 2013 ToB Embankment strava times as 'proof' of commuters breaking the speed limit and racing...

...facepalm.

Although regarding that wally from the BDA - I do regularly break the speed limit for cars in the Blackfriars underpass - no matter how ropey and jaded my legs are I try to get to 30mph in the the tunnel every morning and then coast up the little rise onto Embankment

I love the fact that the pros had their Strava stats uploaded for the ToB and TdF - I have just double checked the segment I was thinking about and Terpstra was over 20km/h faster than me (and I am in top 1%) even though he had just done 100 miles in the TdF from Cambridge whilst it is at the end of my 25km commute and there was a 30km/h tailwind that day.
  • imatfaal
    Ah real embankment commuters pay attention to where they rank that day and how they did that year ;)

10th this year
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    imatfaal wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

The best thing is some fool writing in a newsletter for some outfit called the British Drivers Alliance, quoting 2013 ToB Embankment strava times as 'proof' of commuters breaking the speed limit and racing...

...facepalm.

Although regarding that wally from the BDA - I do regularly break the speed limit for cars in the Blackfriars underpass - no matter how ropey and jaded my legs are I try to get to 30mph in the the tunnel every morning and then coast up the little rise onto Embankment

I love the fact that the pros had their Strava stats uploaded for the ToB and TdF - I have just double checked the segment I was thinking about and Terpstra was over 20km/h faster than me (and I am in top 1%) even though he had just done 100 miles in the TdF from Cambridge whilst it is at the end of my 25km commute and there was a 30km/h tailwind that day.

Ah - that'll be the mechanical doping kicking in then ... ;)
  • Pas normal, imatfaal :-)
  • rick_chasey
    Fairly sure he was bringing the OPQS sprinter up in the group.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Im quicker than Roman Bardet by one second on a section of Monaco. had to get a screen shot of it at the time.

The speed they do and maintain over long periods of time is amazing.
  • rick_chasey
    It's almost like they have both the genes for it and all the time in the world to train ;)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Dowsett is good as he posts a lot of his normal rides. Depressing how fast his easy rides are though...
    He also rides with Cav a fair bit but he isn't on Strava.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    It's almost like they have both the genes for it and all the time in the world to train ;)

Im sure if I had as much time as they did I could be that fast ;)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    sherer wrote:
    Im quicker than Roman Bardet by one second on a section of Monaco. had to get a screen shot of it at the time.

The speed they do and maintain over long periods of time is amazing.

I'm one place above Terpstra for one of the Paris Roubaix segments I rode a couple of weeks ago. Still not KOM though.

Marco Pinotti took one of my KOMs when he was over for the Olympics, had a nice chat with him on Strava - seems like a nice guy.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Laurens ten dam is good to follow, he's a great guy and puts his training rides, rides with kids etc. He's also got the kom for the venteoux too, about 30 mins I think.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Kwiatkowski just uploaded his ride in the prologue of the Tour de Romandie. If you check any of the segments ridden you can get the list of everyone that rode it today, and hey presto you end up with another 9 pros you can follow if you want.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    not only pro's, but cycling celebrities..... Tim Krabbe for example. Relevant to only the Dutch I guess, but journalist Thijs Zonneveld.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • rick_chasey
    Markwb79 wrote:
    not only pro's, but cycling celebrities..... Tim Krabbe for example. Relevant to only the Dutch I guess, but journalist Thijs Zonneveld.

Thijs is an ex pro and Krabbé should have been one but he was too busy playing chess in his 20s.
  • There's a load of the Belgian pros use aliases too. One of the Quick Step guys is John Deere, because he went to agricultural college.

@gietvangent
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Markwb79 wrote:

Thijs is an ex pro and Krabbé should have been one but he was too busy playing chess in his 20s.

Thijs is back at conti level this year with Park Hotel. He is a interesting follow on starva. Will ride around at 30km and then commit 100% for a segment at 50km. Him and Niki had a little battle for Kopje for a while.

Tim would definitely not agree with you though. But is amazing for a 73 year old.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012