Pinning Numbers on Jerseys

nbalcombe
nbalcombe Posts: 87
edited May 2016 in Road general
I'm doing a sportive next weekend and they're requesting that you pin your number on your jersey. I was planning on wearing my Castelli Gabba if the weather's a bit iffy but don't really want to put pins through it. I have plenty of short-sleeved tops that I don't mind putting pins through but now I have no idea what to wear if it's a bit wet/chilly.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just pin it to the pockets
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    First world problems...

About the only useful application for a number in a sportive is to ID yourself in the inevitable post-event FB pics - so I can't see the point of putting a number anywhere other than on the bars.
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    First world problems...

Like most that we face here in the first world :wink:
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I've done many TTs and MTB enduros over the years and have pinned numbers on all sorts of tops.

I do not recall the pins leaving any visible evidence of their presence after the removal of the number.

If it is a nice top to wear at the event, wear it. If you need to pin a number to it, do so.

I have some fairly mangled cycle clothing, but the damage has generally happened during an unplanned dismount at speed. I'd advise you not to wear your nicer clothing if you know you're about to crash heavily. But pins? Really?

Pin the number low down.... It sort of needs to be about kidney level or lower.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's a pin. On a cycling top. Just pin the thing. On the pockets as per other comments.

I'll buy you a bar of chocolate if you can find the holes after you unpin.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Get yourself some NoPinz pockets if you really can't face the idea. They're meant for TTs, and you'll be the only one, but as long as the number isn't too big, it'll work.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    mini magnets
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The only purpose a number serves is to help with your photograph at the end. Don't bother.
  • Anonymous
    The only purpose a number serves is to help with your photograph at the end. Don't bother.

Wrong

Your emergency contact details are usually on the reverse arnt they?

It's also a condition of entry probably.
    As is wearing a helmet.

No problem if people do not want to pin numbers on or wear helmets etc. but just don't enter the event :wink:
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:

Wrong

unlikely...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stick it on with Gaffa tape.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I wouldn't bother for a sportive. Stick the number in your pocket if it has emergency information on. No Pinz would work but seem like a lot of hassle. If anyone wants to give me chocolate, I would be happy to show them the pin marks on various jerseys...
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Wrong

unlikely...

Well it's up to the individual if they bother.
    These things are there for a reason (like safety cut out wrist straps on motor boats).

Just don't cry if something goes wrong and the details would have been useful.

Defo don't bother writing them on if you are just going to stick it in your pocket though lol :wink:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If its a non-competitive Sportive, then normally numbers are (as someone already said) just to aid in identification in the event photos and when crossing the finish line. More often they are zip-tied onto handlebars but when I did a BHF one years ago we had to pin them on our jerseys and they DID damage the threads in the jerseys - maybe not the insertion of the pin itself but they get tugged about all day and that pulled threads in light summer jerseys. No way would I put a pin through a waterproof layer though. My 10 year old son loved having one pinned to him as it made him feel just like the athletes on TV.

I would never pin one on again though, or only to a cr***y selected jersey for the purpose. What do you do if it rains? Transfer the number to your waterproof or just put it on over the top and obscure the number? The organisers dont provide any kind of insurance so not wearing it does not leave me unprotected and personally I would take the number and stuff it out of site until the end and then wave it at the finishing post.
  • Anonymous
    So what are you going to do OP?

Write contact details on?
    Pin it to pocket?
    Put it in pocket?
    Stop and go back for it if it falls out when you take something else out of the pocket?

It's duathalons that are a pain as you have to have it on your chest.
    And yes, you can see the pin holes afterwards :(
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Wear a light gilet and pin the number on that?
    If you're wearing an already windproof Gabba it adds very little weight or extra warmth.
  • Worse is when they force you to stick a number on your frame (this is for a triathlon event) and they give you a handwritten number on one of those manky office stationary stickers that basically welds itself to your frame leaving bits of sticker and glue residue for years afterwards.
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • apreading
    Worse is when they force you to stick a number on your frame (this is for a triathlon event) and they give you a handwritten number on one of those manky office stationary stickers that basically welds itself to your frame leaving bits of sticker and glue residue for years afterwards.

Could always have a patch of helicopter tape on the frame already - stick the event sticker to that and then peel off and replace ready for the next event. Might seem a bit extravagent but helicopter tape isnt that expensive really.
  • apreading wrote:
    Worse is when they force you to stick a number on your frame (this is for a triathlon event) and they give you a handwritten number on one of those manky office stationary stickers that basically welds itself to your frame leaving bits of sticker and glue residue for years afterwards.

Could always have a patch of helicopter tape on the frame already - stick the event sticker to that and then peel off and replace ready for the next event. Might seem a bit extravagent but helicopter tape isnt that expensive really.

It's a bit late - I did the event about 4 years ago and still have the poxy mank left on my frame
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • kingtubby
    kingtubby Posts: 45
    Imposter wrote:
    First world problems...

About the only useful application for a number in a sportive is to ID yourself in the inevitable post-event FB pics - so I can't see the point of putting a number anywhere other than on the bars.

Isn't almost every post on the entire forum a first world problem?
  • imposter2.0
    kingtubby wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    First world problems...

Probably...but not wanting to put holes in a relatively expensive jersey still ranks as one of those 'get in the sea' moments, IMO...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Imposter wrote:
    kingtubby wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    First world problems...

Probably...but not wanting to put holes in a relatively expensive jersey still ranks as one of those 'get in the sea' moments, IMO...

Probably .. but not wanting to put holes in a relatively expensive waterproof rainshell isn't. You wouldn't purposely make holes in something that is meant to be impervious, would you?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Probably .. but not wanting to put holes in a relatively expensive waterproof rainshell isn't. You wouldn't purposely make holes in something that is meant to be impervious, would you?

I take your point, but putting 4 pin holes in the lower back of a rain jacket does not mean you are going to drown in the next downpour...
  • apreading
    Imposter wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

I take your point, but putting 4 pin holes in the lower back of a rain jacket does not mean you are going to drown in the next downpour...

Until you have done a dozen events and now have 48 pin holes in the item... and maybe even before that the threads start unknitting because you cut one of them.
  • imposter2.0
    apreading wrote:

Until you have done a dozen events and now have 48 pin holes in the item... and maybe even before that the threads start unknitting because you cut one of them.

Shouldn't be an issue, as this is the only sportive I've ever heard of that requires numbers to be pinned to the rider - and nobody would be daft enough to pin their number to their rain jacket in a real race anyway...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    PS- don't pin number on back of jersey before you pull it on. The jersey will stretch as it goes over your head. The number won't. Results in safety pins being pulled out of jersey and you going "Doh!"

I did this and went "Doh! Get some one to pin it on you afterwards.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Sew some small rings on or the eyes from hooks and eyes. Then fasten your safety pins to the rings, this is what people did on their skin suits to stop getting lots of holes in them.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Pin your number on your vest/baselayer then whatever else on top. I've seen people do this, and the number is always going to be hidden if you add a gilet or whatever during the ride.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I remember triathlons used a belt with tags that held the number. You just attached the number to the belt then tied the belt around your waist. Place the number on your back when on the bike and at the from when on the run.

Like this one ... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-race-belt-1/
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • imposter2.0
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    PS- don't pin number on back of jersey before you pull it on. The jersey will stretch as it goes over your head. The number won't. Results in safety pins being pulled out of jersey and you going "Doh!"

I did this and went "Doh! Get some one to pin it on you afterwards.

Or alternatively, do pin the number on the jersey before putting it on (as most do) and allow for the stretch while pinning it...