Hydraulic brake compatibility

Willst0ne
Willst0ne Posts: 23
edited April 2016 in Workshop
I've got some rs685 shifters and would like to know if they're compatible with any post mount 160mm calipers or specifically only compatible with the rs785 caliper? Many thanks

Comments

• 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    Willst0ne wrote:
    I've got some rs685 shifters and would like to know if they're compatible with any post mount 160mm calipers or specifically only compatible with the rs785 caliper? Many thanks
    Calipers should be fine as long as they run on the same brake fluid system(i.e. Shimano mineral oil) so don't put any calipers that requite DOT fluid, but personally I stick with the RS785 and R785 (I run the same levers, but for frame clearance I have to run a R785 in the rear and a RS785 up front, no issues whatsoever.
  • Willst0ne
    Willst0ne Posts: 23
    Thanks. What were the frame compatibility issue you had? I thought they were both most mount? As I can't find rs785 callipers only for sale I was looking at getting some different post mount callipers.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    For roadies, hydraulics seem to have a bit of an aura of magic. I have little experience, basically I only fitted/shortened one hydraulic line, but it seems to me there is no reason why you can't mix and match, as long as the brake lever pulls enough fluid to push the piston of a given caliper, you don't mess with fluids too much and you get the connections right.
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    As I understand it, the difference between the R and the RS versions is the pipe entry and the bleeding system. On some frames, the R version (if I have that the right way around), gave minor heel clearance issues.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    If you have a dig around you can find Shimano's product compatibility charts. Here's a link to their official compatibility setup for the hydraulic levers.

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/1. ... acid=C-499

According to that, your rs685 shifters will work with the following calipers:

BR-RS805
    BR-RS785
    BR-R785
    BR-RS505
    BR-RS405
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    I have RS685 shifters and have just replaced my RS785 rear caliper with a T675, apart from different pads and half the price of the 785 it works fine, if not better than before, I have less lever travel.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod119959
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    The RS405\505\805 are post mount so may not fit your frame