Chain spotter (almost too embarrassed to post...)

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Just seen this. Coolest thing ever made or crazy place to save 7g?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Sigma- ... tcher/13DI

Has anyone tried one on a SRAM Red 22 yaw mech?

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Are you running one at the moment?

Unless you're regularly riding cobbles or some such rough terrain, dropping a chain a chain on the inside should be a rare occurrence if your front mech is set up properly.

I tried the K-Edge Pro one a little while ago and it was more trouble than it was worth. Thought I had it setup perfectly but on a rare occasion that I managed to drop the chain (shifting down on a bumpy climb) somehow it managed to get past the chain-catcher and then it only served to *stop* me putting the chain back on!

Waste of time and money if you ask me.
  • londoncommuter
    Are you running one at the moment?

Unless you're regularly riding cobbles or some such rough terrain, dropping a chain a chain on the inside should be a rare occurrence if your front mech is set up properly.

I tried the K-Edge Pro one a little while ago and it was more trouble than it was worth. Thought I had it setup perfectly but on a rare occasion that I managed to drop the chain (shifting down on a bumpy climb) somehow it managed to get past the chain-catcher and then it only served to *stop* me putting the chain back on!

Waste of time and money if you ask me.

No, my shiny new bike arrived with SRAM Red but oddly without the chain catcher that comes as standard with the mech. I'm a bit on the fence about them but with the low cost and weight it doesn't seem worth taking the chance, especially as the SRAM specific one fits so neatly with the derailleur.

But then I spotted the Sigma one..... Cheaper and surely the pinnacle of using carbon fibre in an unnecessary and bling way.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    My lowly Rival 22 also came without the spotter so I contacted the import (Kuota) and they sent me one foc. It's not done much work but did save me on one occasion when I was climbing, completely messed up a gear change and the chain popped off. It's never done it again since I tweaked the derailleur a bit. The chain shouldn't get past the spotter if it's fitted properly. (A bit like the derailleur!)

In theory you should never need it but for me I'm glad it's there protecting the carbon!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Try telling Andy Schleck that chain catchers are a waste of money! I think the £16 for this one isn't too bad since the K-Edge one is over £20 (although it does look nicer IMO). I use a Token one, cheap as chips and completely solved my annoying "once in a blue moon" shipping the chain issue.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Well, Andy Schleck is now the official winner of that Tour de France...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ah yes, good point. Does Spanish steak help to keep a chain on as well? I'm looking for a win/win.
  • Just seen this. Coolest thing ever made or crazy place to save 7g?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Sigma- ... tcher/13DI

I got one on my best bike. Not sure that I've ever actually used it though.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • londoncommuter
    Thanks for all of the comments. Turns out I've a "chainstay protection cover" stuck to the chainstay for just this eventuality. Surely it's the frame above and in front of the bottom bracket that gets gouged if you drop a chains so this is a bit pointless? Is that right?

http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/techno ... cover.html

"The Chain Stay Protection Cover provides excellent protection against the consequences of chain suck, namely damage to the carbon frame. Also, if the chain drops, the chain stay sustains no paint damage."

9a0ayr.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    My chain cames off twice and took a big chunk of paint and carbon from my BB area but nothing structural it happened because I hadnt adjusted my front mech correctly
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Thanks for all of the comments. Turns out I've a "chainstay protection cover" stuck to the chainstay for just this eventuality. Surely it's the frame above and in front of the bottom bracket that gets gouged if you drop a chains so this is a bit pointless? Is that right?

http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/techno ... cover.html

"The Chain Stay Protection Cover provides excellent protection against the consequences of chain suck, namely damage to the carbon frame. Also, if the chain drops, the chain stay sustains no paint damage."

9a0ayr.jpg

A chainstay protector although useful is not going to protect your frame if the chain drops. for the sake of a few quid and a few grammes I think they are a good idea, particularly on a carbon bike.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Try telling Andy Schleck that chain catchers are a waste of money!

I often see this comment online and I am always confused by it.

Andy's 'chain gate' moment occurred as he shifted to the big ring under power and the chain came over the top of the crank, not down onto the frame. Therefore, a chain catcher would have been no help whatsoever...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9