Part bike rather than sell as a whole bike

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited April 2016 in Road general
Just wondering if i would be better to part out my Cube Agree GTC PRO carbon that has +Mavic Ksyrium Elite S 2013 Wheels and Ultegra 5700?

Comments

• Usually better money is when you cannibalize the bike rather than sell it as a whole,truth is I've never been patience enough to do so and needed the money asap for the next bike..
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    maybe you will noy be a better rider, but you get a better felling to rider a bike
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Usually yes, you'll get more from each individual component than you would for the entire bike, as the full bike is basically like a bulk buy discount. As long as you take it apart carefully and clean each part until it gleams like the sun.

Personally I wouldn't bother as you might seperate it into two dozen bits and have to deal with each one and a multitude of buyers and transactions, and it's quite possible some bits just won't sell or you'll have to virtually give them away so in the end you could have just sold the bike to one buyer and pocketed the cash.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I've read on this forum of people buying a whole bike because they only wanted the frame, then selling all of the other parts. It worked well for them, and that they were prepared to go to those lengths suggests that there's a ready market for bare frames as well . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Usually better money is when you cannibalize the bike rather than sell it as a whole,truth is I've never been patience enough to do so and needed the money asap for the next bike..

It depends...

High end components sell for more than the sum of the parts, as people do buy "upgrades", so your Zipp, Dura Ace and such might sell for good money, but for low end components it's the opposite. Plenty of folks who want to spend 3-400 quid on a second hand bike, but not many want to buy a Tiagra chainset... unless you give it away for the cost of the postage.
    left the forum March 2023
  • markhewitt1978
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I've read on this forum of people buying a whole bike because they only wanted the frame, then selling all of the other parts. It worked well for them, and that they were prepared to go to those lengths suggests that there's a ready market for bare frames as well . . .

I've thought about that approach before. Often you can't buy the frameset alone, or the frameset is relatively expensive compared to the full bike.

e.g. I've been looking at Canyon Ultimate CF the frameset is £999 but a full bike with 11 speed 105 is £1,350. I'm sure that if I stripped it down and sold all the parts - they will be brand new after all, I would make back more than the £350 extra.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I was quite surprised how much I got for Tiagra/105 shifters, chainset, derailleurs etc when I striped my bike a couple of years ago. Wasn't the latest incarnation either. Happily do it again, shifted a full groupset and wheels in the space of a week.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto wrote:

I've thought about that approach before. Often you can't buy the frameset alone, or the frameset is relatively expensive compared to the full bike.

e.g. I've been looking at Canyon Ultimate CF the frameset is £999 but a full bike with 11 speed 105 is £1,350. I'm sure that if I stripped it down and sold all the parts - they will be brand new after all, I would make back more than the £350 extra.

You could make as much as £351! :D

More seriously, if you haven't ridden the bike they're new components, and you should be able to sell tham as such. If you package the bits in plastic bags and include an instruction sheet* it's no different to what you get from the shops when it's sold as an OE component.

* print it out from the internet
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • markhewitt1978
    Giraffoto wrote:
    More seriously, if you haven't ridden the bike they're new components, and you should be able to sell tham as such. If you package the bits in plastic bags and include an instruction sheet* it's no different to what you get from the shops when it's sold as an OE component.

Yeah that's the thing. They wouldn't be 'as new' they would be new! Obviously still wouldn't be able to command the same price as you would find them for on the likes of wiggle.

But I would have figured that a full 105 11 speed groupset. Mavic Askium wheeset, 2 x GP4000S tyres, Bars & Saddle would probably leave me in profit over buying the frame only.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Giraffoto wrote:

This is grossly wrong. What is missing is warranty. New in box means nothing, unless you have bought it yourself. The retailer is your contact point for any warranty claim.
    You can pay near-new money for a "new" chainring, as most likely you won't need a warranty on it, but I would not pay good money on a pair of shifters, or a carbon framset
    left the forum March 2023
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto wrote:

This is grossly wrong. What is missing is warranty. New in box means nothing, unless you have bought it yourself. The retailer is your contact point for any warranty claim.
    You can pay near-new money for a "new" chainring, as most likely you won't need a warranty on it, but I would not pay good money on a pair of shifters, or a carbon framset

That seems like a very reasonable point, I withdraw my advice. Don't try it unless you plan to offer a warranty.
    XM-057 rigid 29er