Little bit of work advice....

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited May 2016 in The cake stop
For the last 2 years I've worked in a job that started out as a dream job but I've grown to find the culture of the company to be at odds with my own view of the world particularly with regard to office politics and the like.

Late last year there were some problems on my project which I was told by management weren't an issue which turned into a huge issue that I was made to carry the can for. Since then relationship with management has been almost non existent aside from the occasional kicking.

4 weeks ago I was told I had requested a transfer to a different department into a job that represents a step back for me with a team leader who said he disnt want me. Now, 1 week after starting handover and on the day the woman I am replacing leaves for maternity, I've been offered a new job with a different company... So why do I feel bad about resigning? Am I being stupid to feel guilty about the timing of my resignation?

Somebody reassure me.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Look after number 1 mate. Do it without burning bridges but hey, it's business.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Sounds like they're possibly trying to manage you out of the business anyway so the simple thing to do is just move on.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,609
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Look after number 1 mate. Do it without burning bridges but hey, it's business.

Yip. Look after yourself.

In general, the Organisation doesn't give a Xxxx about the Individual.

Do what is right for you, and don't look back.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You have to manage your career and not make emotional decisions but instead be very practical. Covering yourself is very important especially with people who have a track record of using and disguarding people.

People leave all the time for better positions just do it properly and don't burn any bridges unless forced to.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    orraloon wrote:

Do what is right for you, and don't look back.

Orpheus needed a life coach like you.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I don't see a decision really. You don't like the culture or the politics of the existing employer and they seem to perceive little value in you so it seems opportune to move on and have a fresh start.

carry the learns from the existing role into your new position and while I don't subscribe to office politics it's best to be aware of the dynamics, pressures and drivers to ensure you're not in the line of fire when things go pear shaped.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Perfectly normal feelings to have.

In real life, resigning is usually pretty awful, even if you don't like the company you're with.

There's never a good time to leave.

Ultimately, you don't owe the company anything. They pay you to turn up and work, and they did.

Feel free to PM if you want the resignation advice I give to all my candidates.
  • Thanks guys. In truth there's no way I'm not resigning. I just feel a bit bad about timing it literally to the day I take over my new responsibilities
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    To give you an insight from the other side of the fence - people leave all the time, nobody is indispensible, the ship sails on
  • rick_chasey
    Thanks guys. In truth there's no way I'm not resigning. I just feel a bit bad about timing it literally to the day I take over my new responsibilities

I'd say that's perfect...Nothing to tie up!

I regularly tell people to resign the day their annual bonus hits their bank account...

People get over it. They don't pay you for what you can do in the future. They pay you for what you have done....
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Sounds like constructive dismissal to me.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • surrey_commuter
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Sounds like constructive dismissal to me.

Why bother? just leave and get on with life
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841

People get over it. They don't pay you for what you can do in the future. They pay you for what you have done....

That's a good way of looking at things. Having been made redundant twice, I would have no qualms about leaving an employer when it suited me, the feckers are more than happy to drop an employee whenever it suits them.
  • rick_chasey
    Course, I don't tell clients that when I make em sign a big guarantee but that's not what we're talking about here.
  • The way the law works here means I can't just flip my desk over and shout "Goat out!"

@gietvangent
  • surrey_commuter
    The way the law works here means I can't just flip my desk over and shout "Goat out!"

Where are you and how does it work?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I've been in a similar position with my old employer who I'd been with pretty much since they started. The thing is there'll never be an obviously good time to go on the face of it but in my case I'm glad I did having seen what has gone on there since. Doing the right thing works both ways and it sounds like they failed to do so.

I also did what Rick suggested and resigned the day my bonus arrived although it wasn't worth the wait in the end!
  • rick_chasey
    The way the law works here means I can't just flip my desk over and shout "Goat out!"

Fairly sure it's the same as the UK...!
  • The way the law works here means I can't just flip my desk over and shout "Goat out!"

Fairly sure it's the same as the UK...!

My manager at my last job worked 3 days notice out of 3 months by leaving at the end of a pay period and telling the director " bad reference? Who do you think wants me to leave early?"

But he was a genius

@gietvangent

Belgium. If I break my notice, they can take me for the gross salary for the period. If I get myself fired, they can force me to wait my notice period unpaid before I can work again and if I go sick they add it to the period.

@gietvangent
  • surrey_commuter

Belgium. If I break my notice, they can take me for the gross salary for the period. If I get myself fired, they can force me to wait my notice period unpaid before I can work again and if I go sick they add it to the period.

And is that what happens in reality?

And is that what happens in reality?

People eiter work the 3 months or negotiate a little less. I think given this is the 1st day of my new responsibilities they'll want some time to hire/rotate someone in.

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Apparently leaving the EU will cause a collapse in protection for UK workers!
  • Well... appointment is made for 1000. Ulp

@gietvangent
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
  • So I did it... Now I have to do it again. To my big boss. Why my line manager can't tell him is beyond me, but there we are.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Good stuff, you werent happy there anyway.

What is the new job? Following in Dimitri's footsteps?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Good stuff, you werent happy there anyway.

What is the new job? Following in Dimitri's footsteps?

Let me get through kicking #2 first.

@gietvangent
  • Now, 1 week after starting handover and on the day the woman I am replacing leaves for maternity, I've been offered a new job with a different company...
    Sounds like the perfect moment for paying back management for their love and care over the past couple of years.
  • The only issue with that is that it isn't this manager and senior manager aren't the one's who have d!cked me about...

@gietvangent