Carbon wheel advice (damaged hub)

neal1984
neal1984 Posts: 240
edited April 2016 in Road general
Hi All,

Due to some poor maintenance on my part (poorly adjusted limit screws), I managed to throw a chain into the spokes & hub whilst decelerating. I ended up taking the bike to a local shop as I didn't have time to fix it myself, their advice is the wheel is scrap due to a suspect worn braking surface. Given that I have prob only done 1500 to 2000 (almost only dry miles) miles on these rims I can't see how its that worn I was hoping to get a new hum, 12x drive side spokes and give it to a local wheel builder to build for me.

The wheels are from Farsports which believe are one of the better Chinese carbon wheel suppliers I believe. A friend has down over double my milage on his and had no problems. I'd like some opinions please..

Damaged Hub and DS Spokes (just to laugh at me):
IMG_1019%202.JPG?dl=0
IMG_1020%202.JPG?dl=0

A few of the braking surface:
IMG_3669.jpg?dl=0
IMG_3670.jpg?dl=0
IMG_3672.jpg?dl=0
IMG_3673.jpg?dl=0

The blueing of the braking surface is due to using blue brake blocks and was pretty much there from first use and there is a step from the carbon of the rim to the braking surface which seems to imply the braking surface is thicker than the rest of the wheel (as you'd expect I guess). To me they don't look too worn in the flesh (actually look worse in the pics - the scrape like marks is just rubber from brake blocks that I can't shift)) however I wouldn't want to take a chance if the rim is too worn.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
Boardman Team Carbon LTD

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Sounds like they can't be bothered to do the job, which is typical when you show up with Chinese wheels
    left the forum March 2023
  • neal1984
    Sounds like they can't be bothered to do the job, which is typical when you show up with Chinese wheels

To be honest thats the impression I got. That's fine but I wish they would say that. So in your opinion the rim is worth saving? I've been quoted by farsports $90 for replacement hub complete with bearings, $2.5 per spoke ($30 for the 12 I need) and $25 for shipping so $145 for the lot. The only reason I have gone back to far sports for the parts is because I know it will fir without much bother and I just don't know enough about hubs to choose a suitable replacements. Also it will still match the front...

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Have you used your brake blocks on an aluminium wheel, the rim looks pitted.

I have a pair of Tokyo Wheels tubulars, which are basically Farsports carbon rims. I've been riding them over Exmoor for a year, so really hilly miles. I have around 6,000 miles on them and they still look as good as new.

I opted for DT Swiss 240 hubs, and they are amazing. It's easy to service the ratchets, and the bearings will last a very long time. I'd highly recommend those as a replacement.
  • neal1984
    No I haven't use them on ally rims (although I am at the moment but will bin the pads if I get this rim repaired). The rim is actually pretty smooth but looks terrible in the picture. I've obviously avoided trying to clean with anything abrasive. Maybe I need to try to clean with a decent degreaser and add some elbow grease in...

Thanks for the hub advise I'll take a look!

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    SOunds a very reasonable price...
    left the forum March 2023
  • neal1984
    SOunds a very reasonable price...

Cheers. I'll see how long the lead time is and get that ordered then.

Boardman Team Carbon LTD