Stans Fluid Question

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All.

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with Stans sealing bigger holes, found it really good with thorns, but the other weekend had a rock nick my tyre in the tread area when I stopped it was like a excited sperm whale pumping white stuff out :) when most of the air had gone I had a look at where it was coming out and there was a hole of round 2 ish mm, so re inflated the tyre gave it a good shake to get the fluid in the right area and it would start to work and then stop, then it seemed as if it had stopped and as soon as you put any pressure from riding on it was straight back down, tried twice and then gave up and put a tube in it ( or was I doing something wrong )

Just wondering how big of a cut/hole any you have had work with Stans, there claim of a 1/4 of inch seems a bit of a long shot.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With bigger holes you need to give the fluid a chance to 'set' in the hole before riding, under ideal (slow) conditions I dare say it may seal a 1/4 inch slit (not round hole!).

Stans is pretty good on the sealing scale, not so good on the fossil creation scale!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    The Rookie wrote:
    With bigger holes you need to give the fluid a chance to 'set' in the hole before riding, under ideal (slow) conditions I dare say it may seal a 1/4 inch slit (not round hole!).

Stans is pretty good on the sealing scale, not so good on the fossil creation scale!

Thanks for the reply Rookie what would you say might be a rough length of time for it to set ?

I have added a bit of glitter to the sealant to hopefully help plug a hole a little better if it happens again( read this in a few articles on making your own sealant )
  • The Rookie
    I have been on a ride where it took about 20 mins for a larger hole to seal and stay sealed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've had the same issues with slightly larger holes, I think a tubeless plug repair kit is probably the best solution to fairly rapid repair
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • The Rookie
    If you don't mind scrapping the tyre!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you don't have to use stans fluid I think rockmonkey uses tractor tyre sealant on his bikes, I wonder what this is like for sealing larger holes.

This is why I've not changed to tubeless setup yet.

Wouldn't super glue work on larger holes, I've used this on a tyre when I was riding to work and a piece of glass put a hole in the tread seemed to work fine for sticking the rubber together, obviously you'd need to remove the sealant from the hole.
  • The Rookie
    You're not going to be super gluing tyres out on the trail!