Apps for lap timing.

SME
SME Posts: 348
edited April 2016 in Track
I keep promising myself to do a couple of laps at Lee Valley - used to go to Eastway when I was a kid.

I saw an online video of the track that someone had done with a Garmin VIRB. I started wondering if there's an app for android to emulate such?

I have IpBike on my phone which connects to my ANT+ sensor, but was considering an app that just does lap timings. A Google search came up with these, but they seem motorsport orientated. I wonder if there's such for cycling?

https://rideapart.com/articles/app-attack-track-day-gps

This, but made for cycling, would be nice... http://www.trackattackapp.com/

Comments

• johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    GPS based apps won't work in an indoor velodrome. It would be hard to tell where a lap starts and finishes using Virb, so you would not get accurate times. A Garmin with a speed sensor would give you maximum speed, but could not easily be applied to a lap.

At Derby and Manchester, you can hire a transponder (£2.50) which will take your time at each pass of the lap and 200m. This would give you a graphic and data table of all your times for laps and 200m. It also logs in real time for a coach to monitor in the track centre.
  • SME
    Thanks John.

But TBH I hadn't considered the veldrome, it's the road circuit I intended to do a few laps of (maybe I've posted this in the wrong section then???).

But I'm now wondering if they do transponders for the road track too. I may drop by and ask them after work later tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply - it's given me food for thought, as they say.
  • Strava
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • SME
    I didn't know Strava had a lap timing feature?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It would if you set it up as a segment, but as pointed out earlier it probably won't read properly on an indoor 250m track..
  • SME wrote:
    Thanks John.

But TBH I hadn't considered the veldrome, it's the road circuit I intended to do a few laps of (maybe I've posted this in the wrong section then???).

But I'm now wondering if they do transponders for the road track too. I may drop by and ask them after work later tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply - it's given me food for thought, as they say.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ah ok - so it's not even relevant to track cycling....