105 or Ultegra

fishybaldrick
fishybaldrick Posts: 8
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I bought my first bike, a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra last August, and purposely went for a relatively cheap model (£700) as I was unsure how well I would take to being out on the road on a 'proper' bike. I've surprised myself with how much I have enjoyed and taken to cycling, aside from the feeling of being out there in the road, the benefits to my health have been immense and as I've got through my first winter and cold weather and have already partaken in a couple of organised Sportives so I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather and potential for longer days out in the saddle

I've found myself in a position where I have a reasonable large amount of disposable income and I'm already thinking of upgrading to a better bike (this period of me being able to afford this outlay in the future is slim, hence thinking about it now) Unlike my friend who started riding at the same time I have suffered no discomfort or back pains from my Synapse so my thinking is to stay with Cannondale and go Carbon and looking at the 105 or Ultegra new versions, as with Evans trade in the prices drop to £1775 and £2225 respectively. (I have an old mountain bike to trade in so current bike can become my winter bike) but as a relatively newbie will I see much difference between the two or would I be better looking at a more racier orientated frame such as the Caad or supersix?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    No reason not to stick with another Synapse if you like them and find them comfortable. Your best bet is to ask to test ride a Synapse alongside a SuperSix so you can see the differences in geometry and handling for yourself.

In terms of the different models, I would say that Ultegra is a bit nicer (and lighter) than 105 but the difference is not huge. Are there any other differences between the models (eg different wheels) other than just the groupsets? In the real world an Ultegra groupset costs about £200 more than 105 so on the face of it the 105 bike is better value unless other components are different.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'd not pay £450 more for Ultegra. However, that's not the only difference.

The wheels are better on the Ultegra. The brakes are far less ugly. But the chainring, oh the chainring...........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    105 with the head, Ultegra with the heart . . .

To give you an idea, Cranksets: the succession 105 - Ultegra - Dura Ace adds 50 - 70g and roughly doubles the price with each step. Functionally, the most important difference is that 105 brakes can clear fractionally larger tyres.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I presume you are looking at the disc brake versions for the Synapse, given the figures quoted. £500 more on the next groupset up is a fair hike, but it's not just the groupset that is upgraded on the Ultegra version, the wheelset is probably better (and therefore you might not feel the need to change them a few months down the line), the seatpost is carbon as opposed to alloy, the saddle has Ti rails as opposed to cromo etc, etc. so you are probably getting 'better' (or more costly at least) components throughout.

As for the other models, the Synapse is the Cannondale 'endurance' frameset, and ideal for longer rides - the CAAD and Supersix are more 'racy' frames, so are will be slightly more 'nippy' and allegedly less comfortable than the Synapse (although there's more to it than just the geometry, tyre size, tyre pressures, seatpost etc). If you like the ride of your current Synapse, why not stick with what you know?
    Or go to an Evans and try each of them out? they are usually quite good in letting you have a test ride (although they don't allow you to go that far!). They also have the 'Right Bike' Guarantee so even if you decide you've got the wrong bike, as long as it's not been soiled or damaged they'll take it back within 30 days.

Edit - since writing this I see others have made exactly the same points!
  • I'm having a trip to my local Evans tomorrow on an unrelated matter so will have a look at the synapses and maybe have a look at the Super Six.... Thanks for the replies guys
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    i would take 105, there is no real difference between these 2 groups.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I've got Tiagra and Ultegra and, whilst the ultegra is a lot smoother, they both do the job just fine. I would go with 105 to save money.
  • Another vote for 105. It's the sweetspot in terms of value for money. You can then use the money saved to put towards a wheel upgrade.

Also, this is highly subjective, but the 105 equipped Synapse has better colour schemes.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I've found myself in a position where I have a reasonable large amount of disposable income and I'm already thinking of upgrading to a better bike (this period of me being able to afford this outlay in the future is slim, hence thinking about it now) Unlike my friend who started riding at the same time I have suffered no discomfort or back pains from my Synapse so my thinking is to stay with Cannondale and go Carbon and looking at the 105 or Ultegra new versions, as with Evans trade in the prices drop to £1775 and £2225 respectively. (I have an old mountain bike to trade in so current bike can become my winter bike) but as a relatively newbie will I see much difference between the two or would I be better looking at a more racier orientated frame such as the Caad or supersix?

Since you've found yourself a large amount of disposable income then aim high?

No point going for mid range and then thinking going high range.

You feel you want to go faster? Want to burn at the lights and leave all other cyclists behind? You race with cyclists on commute?

If you do then go for something much racier geo together with Di2 Ultegra and Hydro Discs and tubeless. I would go with the CAAD12 frame if I want some racy now and I wouldn't bother with 105.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yes hsiaolc makes a good point - dont buy 105 now if you will just end up wishing for ultegra and then later buying it anyway.

Personally, I would go Ultegra but for another reason - if you look at the back of the crankset, the 105 has loads of different hollow pits in a circle (not sure how to describe them) which will just accumilate dirt & grime and be hard to clean. Ultegra is a solid back faceplate but still lighter and stiffer anyway - looks much nicer and will be easier to live with.
  • bendertherobot
    You guys mun.

There is no Ultegra chainset on the Ultegra Synapse. It's the Cannondale SI Hollowgram with Spiderings.

AKA, the nicest chainset going. And expensive. Really expensive.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    ooooh - that DOES look nice...
  • bendertherobot
    Anyhow, for your £500 you get:

Upgraded to Ultegra
    You get RS685 brakes instead of the REALLY UGLY 105 ones (that's worth £500 IMO)
    Aksium v Cannondale wheels
    Better tyres
    Carbon Seatpost (with Di2 integration)
    Spidering Chainset
    Upgraded Ti saddle

It's pretty good in terms of upgrades.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    If you have the cash and don't have to justify buying on sale, then buy the Synapse as you know you like the geometry and find it comfortable ...

In terms of 105/Ultegra, I'd now never buy a 'dale without the Spidering so it'd be the Ultegra every time ...

As an aside, you do get the Ultegra bike in flou yellow as well as black ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Thanks for the further advice and views... I had a look at both yesterday. The 105 is a wonderful bike, and absolutely nothing wrong with it, but the Ultegra is indeed a thing of beauty. And I know that if I would end up wishing I had spent the extra in the first place.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    There is little difference between tiagra and 105, and similar from 105 to ultegra. As long as they are well setup and maintained.

It is more about having premium products at various price points. The same is true in mountain biking, slx is cheaper and little different to the more expensive xt.

Best to buy the bike that fits you well for your riding style, you like the look of and makes you want to ride once you have looked into prices and specs
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    If I were in your position I would spend the extra and buy the Ultegra bike, as Bendrobot says
    You get RS685 brakes instead of the REALLY UGLY 105 ones (that's worth £500 IMO)
    Couldn't agree more and you would probably not need to uprade the bike much, if at all.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Thanks for the further advice and views... I had a look at both yesterday. The 105 is a wonderful bike, and absolutely nothing wrong with it, but the Ultegra is indeed a thing of beauty. And I know that if I would end up wishing I had spent the extra in the first place.

Not sure what kind of person you are but doesn't seem like the kind that will stick to one frame for 30 years.

Actually probably less than a year and you want to upgrade already.

Since you have the money and you've already got the Synapes then go for the racier bikes such as CAAD12 or even go for the Evo or any other racier bikes.

IF you get anther synapse very soon you will be wondering what it would be like to have a racer especially the summer is on the way.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i think the best advice is really go as far as you can on a really good frameset everything else can be upgraded as you go, there as some amazing deals to be had on Cannondale, Canyon and Cervelo to name but a few, one thing i would say is you mentioned not suffering any discomfort on the Synapses then clearly that geometry is a good fit for you, i'd check any potential new carbon models very carefully, a lot of manufacturers have much more racey carbon frames than their aluminium models.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.