Bargain Vittoria Rubino Pro Tyres

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I realise lots of people on this forum never venture towards the commuting sections but this deal is too good to keep

** VITTORIA RUBINO PRO SUPER DEAL **

Decathlon have two rubino pro 25c with two inner tubes for £19.99
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rubino-pro-road-bike-tyre-set-and-tubes-700x25-id_8341172.html

in case you've not used them, these are the now the older model from the current graphene G+ range but in many reviews and by personal experience a far better tyre, plus this deal comes with two inner tubes, at that price what's not to love.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    How would these fair as a winter tyre? Would they cut up too easily?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    I realise lots of people on this forum never venture towards the commuting sections but this deal is too good to keep

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rubino-pro-road-bike-tyre-set-and-tubes-700x25-id_8341172.html

in case you've not used them, these are the now the older model from the current graphene G+ range but in many reviews and by personal experience a far better tyre, plus this deal comes with two inner tubes, at that price what's not to love.

What's not to love is that some folk find them lethal (myself being one!). Does possibly depend on the model, (and possibly even width - I think MRS had the idea that the 25s appeared less of an issue than the 23s), geography possibly and the widely differing opinions on them can't be ignored but for me, I would only use them in Spring and Summer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Rolf F wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

What's not to love is that some folk find them lethal (myself being one!). Does possibly depend on the model, (and possibly even width - I think MRS had the idea that the 25s appeared less of an issue than the 23s), geography possibly and the widely differing opinions on them can't be ignored but for me, I would only use them in Spring and Summer.

Shows how differently people/bikes I guess are? I don't use road race tyres, but did until a few years back, and I never noticed a huge difference in terms of grip, be they cheap as chips training tyre or expensive hand woven stuff with the tears of young maidens. Bar Gatorskins which even on the rear where a bit of moisture and they became twitchy.
  • itboffin
    these tyres are great in all seasons
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've never hidden my love for Rubino Pros and trust them to the extent that they are on the bikes of both of my teenage sons.

In broad terms, I think they roll very well and have very good puncture resistance in my experience. I can't deny that some people have reported grip issues (dunno if it's a width-related thing) in the wet. I've found them no worse than other tyres of this ilk.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    these tyres are great in all seasons

I came off whilst using Rubino Pros whilst riding in a straight line on a straight stretch of road with no obstacles. Front wheel just washed straight out. Rubino Pro and a bit of Yorkshire Autumnal leaf mulch was the recipe. Nobody else had any problems on that ride and nobody else was on Rubino Pros. I rode them in Summer conditions and they were absolutely fine but scary if there was any slippiness on the roads.

The message is that they might be fine but any of our personal experience is irrelevant as experience varies so much. It's not really a tyre that should be recommended simply because it is very hit and miss between whether or not you will love it or it will try to kill you.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Rolf F wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

This ^^^

If they work for you in your area, great - personally won't be going near one ever again.
  • meanredspider
    It is amazing that this is such a marmite tyre. I've ridden them in UK, NL, Belgium and Luxemburg without issue (well, I did come off in Belgium once but then so did 3 other riders (out of about 50) independently at the same roundabout).

I'd love to know what it is about the tyre that causes these experiences. It's a shame because I think they're the best all-round tyre there is - with this one caveat of some people's experience of slippery surface grip.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    It is amazing that this is such a marmite tyre. I've ridden them in UK, NL, Belgium and Luxemburg without issue (well, I did come off in Belgium once but then so did 3 other riders (out of about 50) independently at the same roundabout).

I'd love to know what it is about the tyre that causes these experiences. It's a shame because I think they're the best all-round tyre there is - with this one caveat of some people's experience of slippery surface grip.

I was happy with the Rubino in Summer but even then, I couldn't see any benefit over the Durano S which is my ideal all year, all rounder tyre. Aside from that you don't see Duranos for sale at £20 a pair with inner tubes!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Have Rubino Pro Tech on my winter/Commuter bike and Rubino Pros on my other one. Never had an issue.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Bought Rubino Pro tyres for my winter bike having seen favourable comments from MeanRedSpider a while ago.
    Have put 3,000 miles on them in all conditions with no issues.
    Bit of a chunk recently taken out of one of them but I would happily buy them again.
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    I couldn't see any benefit over the Durano S ...... you don't see Duranos for sale at £20 a pair with inner tubes!

That is the point. The typical price for Rubino Pros is around the £17 each mark. For a tyre that's pretty light, pretty fast and, in my experience, has great puncture resistance - it's hard to beat (assuming you don't experience any wet grip issues). I had an almost new one killed by a big chunk of bottle glass but, at that price, you don't much care.

I guess the reason that they're so incredibly cheap now is that Vittoria are going all guns on graphene.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I have been happy with the Rubino Pro Slick on the back of my Kinesis. It has been punctured once by a piece of flint and I fell off on black ice.

Sadly, punctures from flint are to be expected where I live and no road tyre would be any better on ice. I find the tyres fantastic value for money.
  • itboffin
    Weird I've not encountered any loss of grip and riding around my hood you practically need a gravel bike, no joke I'll take a picture.

I have had an almost off with a new conti hardshell and found it slippery as ice until the mold rubber had done a couple of miles perhaps you experienced that or something under the leaves?

Tyres are something I don't take lightly apart from tubs I've been through the all, and keep coming back to Vittoria, I'm yet to dabble with the G+ range as I detect hints of snake oil
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    Used them for commuting in Manchester for a year or so -not exactly known for it's dry climate, but never had a problem with grip or punctures.
    I thought I got a good deal on them for £15 each - this looks great (BTW I picked up a pair of Michelin Pro4 SC grip [23's] from decathlon for £30 - seems like a good place for deals these days)
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Great value 2 for £20. These look like the pro tech version rather than standard pro (going by the weight 260g for 25mm).
    I often use rubino pro 25mm and find them great (reliable/fast/cheap), but still use winter tyres when it's cold and wet.
    The difficulty with comparing tyre grip, is that there's probably only a few % difference between average grip and excellent grip. So for 99% of the time, there's nothing to tell them apart. But It's the last few %(of grip) that'll be the difference between cornering (or stopping) safely- or crashing in extreme circumstances.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    I'm another one that has had an off with these tyres. In my case I came off twice, both times the wheel just seemed to slide out on me. I've never had that problem with other tyres (including other Vittoria tyres like the open corsa), as a result I now use the two I have as a turbo tyre. I also live and ride in Yorkshire, maybe it's the water!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Row many miles on the tyres when you have an off?

I find Rubinho tyres a slippy in damp until they have some mileage or you can scrub them in with some 800grit paper. Defo wash the release agent off before even fitting them.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Had a few moments in the wet with these tyres, have gone through a couple of sets, great price though, ps stay away from the diamonte radial, now they are dangerous lol.
  • itboffin
    It has to be the mold residue because the rubber is very good even when knackered
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I tell you what, I am terrified now - I have been riding a bike with disc brakes that tear limbs off, on Conti GP4000S that explode and now bought some of these which are made of ky jelly...! This cycling is a dangerous lark.
  • itboffin
    I think you'll live but if you don't can I have your bike?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Maybe, once Steven King has finished using it to write the sequel to 'Christine'...
  • itboffin
    mine arrived today with inner tubes but 25/28 not 18/25 as stated, not the end of the world but he's the weird thing

i measured them on my superstar rims 24mm i measured the 23 they replaced as 24mm also they look different sort of more plastic and no mention of 150 TPI on the box, i'm wondering if these are the older 60 TPI version?

Also weight wise they weigh the same as the 23 they're replacing???

i'm confused but still happy with the deal