Chinese bargain

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited April 2016 in Road general
DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

I 'invested' 20 quid to see what all the fuss was about Chinese quality re its carbon offerings.
After a few weeks riding, I then stress tested... the crack actually appeared on the road... no it was only ever torqued up to 4Nm, before you ask... the bar end I just hit with my hand when taken off the bike.
Thats why carbon costs what it does... the Chinese seem to have a wideranging interpretation of what they call carbon by the look of it.
I am now using my genuine, costly FSA carbon bars which dont have a flat bit... that was causing me some hand pain anyway.

Comments

• A fairly graphic illustration of the difference between "cheap" and "bargain".
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    it may be paintfull...
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Chinese quality? Not sure if poor troll attempt or actually misguided/ignorant.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    b22388ba1f2858ec91c182c38d3bfe9e.jpg

I'm surprised you decided to risk your safety by buying Chinese carbon? OK on non touch points maybe but even then I doubt very much I would.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I was well aware of the fact that this stuff is not kosher and I really dont need to be lectured at.
    It was a 20 quid experiment in light of the fact I am certainly not a materials scientist.

Sometimes I think , Is it ever worth posting anything on a forum that tries to be only slightly informative without the inane comments...
    :roll:

by the way .. still alive and just to be clear, my bike gets a thorough check up after almost every ride/race, so I know what is going on with my bike.. unlike , and lets face it, most cyclists ride until things do break on them with a sod all maintenance programme and thats the bloody danger when it comes to direct imports from China in my view.
    By the way a whole frameset is full of 'contact points' is it not?
    Put your trust in those seat or chain stays?

You make your own choice.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    interesting post. Glad you didn't suffer this failure out on the road. I'd been thinking about a cheap, Ergon-style split Carbon seatpost, Chinese off eBay, as it's available at a huge price differential to the Ergon branded version. Think this has convinced me not to....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    JGSI wrote:
    I was well aware of the fact that this stuff is not kosher and I really dont need to be lectured at.
    It was a 20 quid experiment in light of the fact I am certainly not a materials scientist.

Sometimes I think , Is it ever worth posting anything on a forum that tries to be only slightly informative without the inane comments...
    :roll:

by the way .. still alive and just to be clear, my bike gets a thorough check up after almost every ride/race, so I know what is going on with my bike.. unlike , and lets face it, most cyclists ride until things do break on them with a sod all maintenance programme and thats the bloody danger when it comes to direct imports from China in my view.
    By the way a whole frameset is full of 'contact points' is it not?
    Put your trust in those seat or chain stays?

You make your own choice.

No lecture, your previous contribution to the form has been informed and of value which is why I was surprised you put yourself at risk by buying this product.

But like you said, people make their own choices. :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I find your post confusing and I don't really understand what experiment you did there... can you explain better?
    left the forum March 2023
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Luv2ride wrote:
    interesting post. Glad you didn't suffer this failure out on the road. I'd been thinking about a cheap, Ergon-style split Carbon seatpost, Chinese off eBay, as it's available at a huge price differential to the Ergon branded version. Think this has convinced me not to....

Those seatposts are 2 seperate carbon posts joined together. If they both failed simultaneously that would be double bad luck. :) Worth a punt i reckon. :twisted:
  • To the OP, did these break in normal use? Did they pretend to be branded bars or just generic no-name cheapos?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I'd not risk some of the more exotic Chinese carbon offerings, but the 3T Ergonova copies I have are decent.

Not sure what you mean

Do you guys know buying counterfeit knowingly is actually illegal? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • onemoresolo
    onemoresolo Posts: 372
    They're not counterfeit, just similar geo and with a white bit on the clamp area. I should have said Ergonova style as I don't think you can patent the geometry of a basic handlebar.
  • Hey All,

Interesting thread showing the very real dangers of buying counterfeit or imitation goods on the web!

https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/fraud-and-economic-crime/pipcu/Pages/counterfeit-goods.aspx

Stay safe all!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager