joe2008
joe2008 Posts: 1,531
edited April 2017 in The cake stop
Sign O' the Times... RIP

Comments

• crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Really sad news

Saw him on his 'Dirty Mind' tour in the early eighties, still in my top ten gigs ever!!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    He was a true genius. One of the finest musicians this planet has ever witnessed and arguably up there alongside Hendrix as one of the greatest guitar players. He was just the business and I'm so, so sad this evening.

crispybug you might have seen this concert video before but if not - enjoy. It's Prince on what I think must have been the Controversy tour - pre 1999 album. For the those that doubt he was as good as Hendrix it's also worth watching. Another legend has gone. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAYQUbh8HHA
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    edited April 2016
    Can this year get any worse for music,two icons/geniuses gone so close together,never got to see Bowie, but I get to see Prince in 95' one of the best gigs i've seen
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    R.I.P.

God must be assembling some kind of super band, class of 16.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • thegreatdivide
    "U turn on the telly and every other story is tellin' U somebody died"
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    *You
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    "U turn on the telly and every other story is tellin' U somebody died"

Sign 'O' The Times
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    So sad. I saw him three or four times in concert.

Three hours of his music on the radio tonight - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0769lky
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I have decided to spend the evening masturbating with a magazine in tribute.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Gethinceri wrote:

A self defining moment then, but perhaps more indicative of repeated behaviour by you?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Have to say the coverage on BBC 6 Music was pretty compelling today, constant Prince output until Mark Radcliffe in the afternoon. Some re-discovered gems for me, and even tracks I may have discounted from memory as a bit "meh" compared to some faves, sounded brilliant. I reckon a "meh" Prince song still stands up strong compared with some artists output. The striking thing was the lack of repitition (maybe unsurprising given the huge catalogue to choose from), the range of styles covered completely convincingly, but also the consistently supreme musicianship. The other thing was the quality of the later, more recent, output. Quite simply, a genius and gone way too soon.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    edited May 2016
    One of the things that struck me amongst all the tributes paid to Prince today was someone saying that Prince was such a prolific writer that if his unreleased tracks were released one album per year it would take a hundred years to put it all out!

p.s. Luv2ride, have to disagree with you. If I ever get lucky enough to own a Musicman Stingray 4 I would pick a pre Ernie Ball and if it had been previously owned by Bernard Edwards then so much the better!
  • thegreatdivide
    Prince was the last great all round artist, musician, producer this generation will witness.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Slowmart wrote:
    Gethinceri wrote:

A self defining moment then, but perhaps more indicative of repeated behaviour by you?

Oh, indeed so. By the repetitive nature of the activity I have completely diminished any feeling of guilt whatsoever.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nice Darling Nicki reference Gethin
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Prince was the last great all round artist, musician, producer this generation will witness.

I disagree.

And he wasn't even a real prince!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Lucan2 wrote:

I disagree.

And he wasn't even a real prince!

Yes he was, it says it on his birth certificate!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    wasn't that changed to a strange symbol?

Sad loss.
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    one year on, playing this mixtape in rememberance of the great man

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/ally ... 1_45-07_00

8)