Buying Used?

mstrmind5
mstrmind5 Posts: 45
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
Unsure whether to get a new or used bike for my first road bike. To be used for 10 mile each way commute in London. Looking through some second hand listings (ebay and gumtree - other suggestions welcome) you can get some some good value, with some luck and judgement. I think a second hand bike would be a good way for me to learn the ropes and work out any kinks whilst being good value to upgrade should I stick with cycling.

If I do decide to get a second hand road bike, what should I be looking for and prioritsing in my search? I already know about the bike check thing and their advice checklist https://checkthatbike.co.uk/ to help make a sound purchase.

What models tend to be good second hand buys? How old is too old to buy used? From the ones I've seen, I do like the look of some of the Cannondale synapse and giant defy bikes. I did see this one https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/cann ... 1164630810, but it seems dodgy from the email exchange I had with the "owner".

I've seen some with disc brakes - any benefits?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    used should be much better value

the age of a bike is less important that how it's been used/maintained

gumtree in particular seems popular with criminals, if you see a bike you like and the contact is via a payg mobile number, search for that number on gumtree, if you find it is being used to sell other bikes, maybe under different seller names, i'd leave well alone

look at the br classifieds viewforum.php?f=40108 , also the cycling weekly website

disk brakes on a road bike? hmmm, not really necessary and will limit choice, but they are good for all weather commuting
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    people talks that disc brakes is the future.
  • mstrmind5
    mstrmind5 Posts: 45
    So ebay and those classified links are the safest places to buy, definitely not gumtree?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You could try a second hand bike dealer if you're not that confident yourself. You'll pay a tad more, but it will give you some peace of mind.

There's something called the Bikestation in Edinburgh and Glasgow and they are really good. Suspect there might be something similar in that London.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Whatever medium you use, including the classifieds on here, it is always a case of caveat emptor so take a little time and look at what the ad says...and what it doesn't say. Genuine sellers are happy to give some detail, perhaps also talk about receipts and the reason for selling. They usually also know what the bike actually is, although this is not always the case. Buying second hand can mean good value, but not without some risk. If something looks like too good to be true then it generally is.

FWIW, I bought my last two 'do it all' bikes/frames off ebay and in both cases ended up with just what I wanted...at the price I wanted. I did have to do a 150 mile round trip to pick up my last frame but had factored all that in when bidding.

Bear in mind that buying retail doesn't come issue free, just google Canyon or Halfords, or even Wiggle!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Also pinkbike and LFGSS- the latter is London-centric so might suit you better.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    I am a big fan of second hand, but remember it is a buyers' market... don't be bullied into believing that a second hand bike is like a second hand car... it is not, there is no warranty to cover it, no matter how new it is. Therefore, 1/2 the original price is the very top you want to pay for it, typically less.
    Often sellers seem to think their used bikes are made of gold... negotiate to a price you are comfortable with and stand your ground, they are the ones with the problem, not you.
    left the forum March 2023