CAAD12 as a "winter" bike

trickytree1984
trickytree1984 Posts: 71
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

My 2011 specialized allez has been used as a hack for a while now. Its come to a point where it needs a major overhaul so instead of spending the money on that, if thinking new hack.

I really like the look of the CAAD12 105 disc. However, i'm sick of running clip on mudguards. I currently use Crud clip ons, but they are just annoying. Any suggestions on what i could run on the CAAD that would be better?

I also like the look of the Cube Attain. Their own clip on mudguards look good....

49-IMG_2634.jpg

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    The Allez has a very aggressive race geometry... while those are more relaxed tottering type of bikes... as long as you are happy with the change, then go for it
    left the forum March 2023
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2016
    I have a CAAD10 as a winter bike with Race blades on it, so I guess the CAAD12 would function fine as a winter bike.

I ride with a number of folks with a variety of crud catchers and race blades and my observation is that the crud catchers seem to move more, rub a bit more and generally and require more ongoing fettling. The race blades are a bit shorter and may take a bit longer to put on, but once on the bike they seem to be more reliable.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Personally I'd just buy a bike with mudguard mounts and fit the longest ones you can on. I've done the summer as a winter bike thing (with cruds and raceblades) and they are utter cr*p in comparison. Bad coverage as well as needing constant attention (moving about ruining the paintwork, rubbing on the tyres and breaking, as is the case with the cruds).

Plenty of choice these days for decent, 'fast' bikes with mudguard mounts and even discs, have a look around. My commuter (Rose DX Cross) has hydraulic discs and full mudguards...makes a world of difference. With your price range you'll get something appropriate
  • Thanks both. I'm struggling with other options on a "fast bike" with hydro brakes for sub 1500 that includes mudguard mounts.

To complicate things, i'm tied to Halfordscycle scheme so that rules out the Kinesis 4s Disc.
  • The Allez has a very aggressive race geometry... while those are more relaxed tottering type of bikes... as long as you are happy with the change, then go for it

I will be using for commuting and winter club runs. I'm used to the Allez but i'm not afraid to tried something more "Sportive". I thought the CAAD was race geometry?

FYI my "summer" bike is a Bianchi Sempre Pro 6800
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Thanks both. I'm struggling with other options on a "fast bike" with hydro brakes for sub 1500 that includes mudguard mounts.

To complicate things, i'm tied to Halfordscycle scheme so that rules out the Kinesis 4s Disc.

hydro brakes are the latest trend, but I would not compromise on the rest to get them. Mechanical and semi hydro can be very good if set up correctly and cost a fraction of the hydro.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    IF you want mudguards on a race bike then look no further than Portland Design Works. The below is caveated as I have no idea how/if they would work with discs.

Fit using the QR and are tool-less except for pliers and an allen key.

Take a bit of tweaking to get perfect then never make another rubbing sound again. They are metal so can rattle and my 'anti rattle tape' has worn through so needs replacing (a 2cm square piece of rubber-tape). It's not that annoying though and these are a marked improvement on the Cruds.

See my Kinesis here:

21945911153_7fc79bd90f_c.jpg
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Thanks both. I'm struggling with other options on a "fast bike" with hydro brakes for sub 1500 that includes mudguard mounts.

hydro brakes are the latest trend, but I would not compromise on the rest to get them. Mechanical and semi hydro can be very good if set up correctly and cost a fraction of the hydro.

I don't look at any bike without discs now.

It is night and day in terms of handling and joy of riding especially commuting.

I think that's a terrible opinion and please keep it to yourself.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Cobblers - get rim brakes and replace your wheels or rims when they wear out you'll still be in pocket.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    hsiaolc wrote:
    I think that's a terrible opinion and please keep it to yourself.

Can anyone else smelly the irony?

Anyway, mudguards are easily enough fitted around - just takes some patience to get the curves right so the stays clear the caliper - some gentle bending will do it though.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    just stick an arse saver on and ride the thing.
  • just stick an ars* saver on and ride the thing.
    I'd be shunned to the back of my club runs
  • coriordan wrote:
    IF you want mudguards on a race bike then look no further than Portland Design Works. The below is caveated as I have no idea how/if they would work with discs.

Fit using the QR and are tool-less except for pliers and an allen key.

Take a bit of tweaking to get perfect then never make another rubbing sound again. They are metal so can rattle and my 'anti rattle tape' has worn through so needs replacing (a 2cm square piece of rubber-tape). It's not that annoying though and these are a marked improvement on the Cruds.

See my Kinesis here:

21945911153_7fc79bd90f_c.jpg
    Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look ath these. I think the CAAD is normal QR not thru axle but it has no rim brake to mount to
  • To complicate things, i'm tied to Halfordscycle scheme so that rules out the Kinesis 4s Disc.

Some shops will accept the Halfords ones, or at least did a few years ago when I last looked. A search on here will probably unearth the info.
  • Ok so is anyone aware of anywhere that sells Kinesis full builds on Halfords Cycle2Work?

I've also been looking at the Cube Cross Race as a more practical option. I would need to change the chain set as its designed for cyclocross.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Unless it can take proper full mudguards with clearance for at least 25mm tyres - it's not a proper winter bike.

Fair enough if you're bodging an old best bike for winter - but if you're buying a winter bike - it should be proper.

Rim/Discs - whatever takes your fancy.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    If your on a halfords cycle scheme just cancel the voucher and buy a supersix from Paul's cycles.
  • If your on a halfords cycle scheme just cancel the voucher and buy a supersix from Paul's cycles.
    You've lost me there. The super six is lovely, but in no way a winter machine. I came down twice this winter, I wouldn't want carbon. Plus I really want to use the scheme. The savings are too big to ignore. I'm looking at the cube cross race now. Bit heavy though
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Ok so is anyone aware of anywhere that sells Kinesis full builds on Halfords Cycle2Work?
    I have only seen the T2 framed bike builds available.