Integrated headset lower bearings removal tool

thebluevoice
thebluevoice Posts: 31
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'd like to replace the lower bearings on my nerve al 2015 as turning the bars feels pretty rough.

Can anyone point me to the correct tool I'll need to remove the lower bearing cartridge (integrated headset canecreek 40 series IS 52/40 45/45) as it's stuck fast.. The top ones slide in and out easily as expected.

I'd rather use the correct tool than a screwdriver and luck ;)

Thanks!

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    usually a swift whack on the top of the tube will do the trick, if not then the dust seal is likely to still be in place. Generally a hook tool will do the job.
    I wouldnt have thought you would need to replace it yet though. More than likely just clean it up. Id try that before changing the bearing they should last years.
  • Step83 wrote:
    usually a swift whack on the top of the tube will do the trick, if not then the dust seal is likely to still be in place. Generally a hook tool will do the job.
    I wouldnt have thought you would need to replace it yet though. More than likely just clean it up. Id try that before changing the bearing they should last years.

Yeah I'd have expected it to last more than 9 months too, always careful to use only a sponge cleaning in areas near bearings :)

And I'd also have liked to try regreasing first but trying to pull out the bearings cartridge (lower) by fingers resulted in the inner/outer coming apart - oops! :oops:

To be clear, the top bearings and fork came off fine. The crown race also will remove fine (although looks ok condition so not replacing).

It's just the lower bearing cartridge stuck and though there might be a proper tool to remove it..

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Not really a proper tool the principle is similar to the top its just a cup with a bearing an a seal that goes over it. With the seal which usually comes off when you take out the fork. Once its out the bearing should just drop out without much help. I do use a hook tool sometimes to nip into the side which is enough to free them.
    Id still just clean it up an test it I cant see why it would have failed in such a short time Headset bearings generally last years.
  • Well, it's pretty jammed up in there so off to the lbs with it!