Cannondale/Giant di2 and disc brakes?

sportzmad
sportzmad Posts: 12
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, if anyone has an opinion here I'd be interested to hear.

I changing my 3 year old Fuji Gran Fondo and within the price range I have my preference at the moment is either 2016 Cannondale synapse ultegra Di2 3 disc brakes or Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, Cannondale 28mm rims though and Giant 25mm seems to be only real difference, price is the same.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Discs are a marketeers dream. Stick to rim brakes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Fenix wrote:
    Di2 is a marketeers dream. Stick to mechanical.

FIFY
    left the forum March 2023
  • Luddites.
  • sportzmad
    sportzmad Posts: 12
    Really helpful........
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I am a luddite and believe that all electronics have a common fate... they fail in a timescale which is significantrly shorter than purely mechanical equivalents. If that involves cables, even worse... in that respect ETap might have an advantage. So it's up to you really, but I wouldn't expect Di2 to last 10 years if you use it in winter. If it's a bike you keep indoor and only use pril-October, then things might be different.

Even more annoyingly, when something fails typically it cannot be fixed and you will find out that in the meantime standards have changed and the spare you need is no longer existing... which means you take your all Di2 and throw it in the bin, as the second hand market for broken electronics is virtually inexistent

But hey oh, you can shift gear at the touch of a button and that might be worth something these days!
    left the forum March 2023