Custom Cannondale Synapse Disc

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited April 2016 in Your road bikes
At last I have a new bike.

IMG_2588_zpsmproebmw.jpg

Non Himod carbon synapse frame with mostly Sram Force and Ksyrium disc wheels. Lots of nice bits but still heavier than I was hoping at around 7.6kg, though not finished yet, as have to sort stem out and not sure if I made the right choice getting a zero setback seatpost, but time will tell.

And I panic bought the white cables after having three orders for xl black cables cancelled for various reasons and bought first xl cables I could find, so may change in future.

Would love to get it down to 7.2kg but we'll see.

Took it out for first test ride yesterday and was amazed by just how smooth the ride was, compared to all my other previous road bikes where I could literally feel every bump in the road, this bike feels like your cycling on air, super smooth and no road buzz at all. I was gonna put 28c GP400s on but will stick to 25c for now.

The only disappointment is from the disc brakes, which feel a bit spongy, so not sure if I set them up right, TRP Spyres with compressionless housing and cables, expected to be sharp as rim brakes but nowhere near really.

Anyway details are:

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Frame 56cm
Mavic Ksyrium Disc Wheelset
Mavic Yksion 25c tyres
Ashima superlight rotors 140mm
TRP Spyres

Barelli Carbon bars 44cm
Fabric Silicon Bar Tape
100mm stem
Hylix 25.4mm zero setback seatpost
Fizik R1 saddle

Sram Force 2x10 Shifters
Sram Force 50/34 GXP 170mm
Wheels Manufacturng BBRight Adapters
Look Keo Max Blades
Sram Red Yaw Front Derailleur
Sram Force Wifli Rear Derailleur
Sram PG-1070 12-32 Cassette
KMC X10.93 Chain

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Nice looking bike, I think it's just the angle of the picture and spacers above the stem but it makes the front look really high.
    I've not used Spyres but I suspect there is either something wrong with the set up or the brakes are not yet bedded in. Hard to say without actually seeing it.
    Bedding in disc pads does make a marked difference, get up to speed and brake hard down to walking pace and repeat a few times. Get heat into the pads, but don't come to a complete stop. After doing that a few times you should feel the braking improve quite dramatically.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My Spyres were awful last week. Took them off, cleaned them, lubed the bearings etc (without pads). New cables. Now they work exactly as they should. Save that I couldn't move the rear pad adjuster and broke it. Upgrade are fixing it for me.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kleinstroker
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Nice looking bike, I think it's just the angle of the picture and spacers above the stem but it makes the front look really high.
    I've not used Spyres but I suspect there is either something wrong with the set up or the brakes are not yet bedded in. Hard to say without actually seeing it.
    Bedding in disc pads does make a marked difference, get up to speed and brake hard down to walking pace and repeat a few times. Get heat into the pads, but don't come to a complete stop. After doing that a few times you should feel the braking improve quite dramatically.

Thanks for the tip will try it out tomorrow. They were new so maybe they do need bedding in somewhat.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    re: bedding in.

find a gentle down hill
    get up to ~12mph
    stop almost to a halt

repeat about 20 times. very marked difference.

if you didn't do this, check pads for glazing - it can easily happen. if they look glazed sand them down. and bed in properly.

when bedding in. you will feel that improvement, once you feel it - do a few (5) more stops and you'll be set.

Glazed road disc pads are pretty useless.
  • kleinstroker
    Went out today and it was definitely better, in fact I almost went over the bars a couple of times :D