Rio Olympics - track cycling

RoadPainter
RoadPainter Posts: 375
edited August 2016 in Pro race
Is anyone on here going to Rio for the Olympics?

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    My sister is going.
    I was asked whether I wanted to go, but I have another, long standing commitment.
    I get back to the UK a few hours before the women's keirin.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Also this dude with some advice on buying tickets...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I had thought about it but my parents decided to have their golden wedding anniversary at the same time. (The day of the men's road race). Admittedly they decided on this date 50 years ago, but it still lacks foresight.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    dish_dash wrote:
    Also this dude with some advice on buying tickets...
    Ta, got all the tickets I want now thx
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Yes I will be out there for a while, working on the event.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    On Twitter that Cav's been selected

It's a Daily M*** link so I'll not be posting it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Will the velodrome be ready? Issues all over the place across many sports and events with just 4 months to go according to latest reports.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Dick's out.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

followed quickly by a Brit Cycling announcement saying the injury to Dibben in no way affects his chances.

however Jess Varnish has been "dropped" completely from the team according to my least favourite journalist (though Brit Cycling use the words contract not renewed...erm surely you dont set contracts with your riders that run out 3months before the one major event you are meant to plan for every 4 years)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016 ... me-on-per/
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    awavey wrote:

followed quickly by a Brit Cycling announcement saying the injury to Dibben in no way affects his chances.

however Jess Varnish has been "dropped" completely from the team according to my least favourite journalist (though Brit Cycling use the words contract not renewed...erm surely you dont set contracts with your riders that run out 3months before the one major event you are meant to plan for every 4 years)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016 ... me-on-per/

Wow. What's happened there? Performance grounds?
  • blazing_saddles
    I've known for a month or more, but obviously couldn't say.
    Parted company very soon after the Worlds.
    Wasn't the only change in the GB women's sprint squad afterwards, but obviously the biggest.
    It's all been a bit tense, during the lead up to the London champions.
    I can't comment upon The Telegraph's final paragraph..............unfortunately.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I find the policy of leaving championship slots unfilled for competitions as important as the Worlds or Olympics somewhat against what sport should be about. They've caused quite a lot of upset in BMX recently with this.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    I find the policy of leaving championship slots unfilled for competitions as important as the Worlds or Olympics somewhat against what sport should be about. They've caused quite a lot of upset in BMX recently with this.

Sometimes there is so much politics in Olympic selection, that I wish there was a way athletes could compete as independents. For example, the way the British team failed to select the no. 1 in the world for Taekwondo. He should have been able to compete, but not represent the UK. (I know nothing about the case)
  • dish_dash
    TheBigBean wrote:

Sometimes there is so much politics in Olympic selection, that I wish there was a way athletes could compete as independents. For example, the way the British team failed to select the no. 1 in the world for Taekwondo. He should have been able to compete, but not represent the UK. (I know nothing about the case)

Yeah. There is an independent team, but it usually reflects states that don't have a functioning NOC. The whole IOC set up is build around nations, some might argue an out of date concept... At Rio apparently there will be a 'Team Refugee Olympic Athletes'
  • blazing_saddles

Not sure why you are drawing this conclusion, because it ain't so.
  • RichN95.
    Nothing is going to be unfilled though. If Marchant stays at home Becky James will do the Sprint and kierin. There's only one rider allowed per event. Obviously Blazing knows more but can't say.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Nothing is going to be unfilled though. If Marchant stays at home Becky James will do the Sprint and kierin. There's only one rider allowed per event. Obviously Blazing knows more but can't say.

Nah, UCI changed the rules yet again ahead of Rio. A nation can enter 2 riders for individual sprint events in Rio, assuming they have earned enough qualifying points
  • DeVlaeminck
    RichN95 wrote:

OK I hope that's the case - they do say in the article they leave the option open of not filling the place but I suppose that could be motivation for those contending for it.
  • DeVlaeminck

Not sure why you are drawing this conclusion, because it ain't so.

If I say because Shane Sutton said it might happen is that a good enough reason ;)

"Sutton said that Marchant, who switched to cycling from heptathlon two years ago, now had a “foot in the door” as far as Rio was concerned. But he warned that her selection was not guaranteed. “If we believe she can do well there then we will take her,” he said. “If not then we won’t actually take up the option of that second spot.”"

As I say I hope they do fill the places but it's not unknown for BC to leave places unfilled - see the furore in BMX recently and the women road worlds at times.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2016
    RichN95 wrote:

Nah, UCI changed the rules yet again ahead of Rio. A nation can enter 2 riders for individual sprint events in Rio, assuming they have earned enough qualifying points

There is more to the story than I'm about to put here, but I think it now goes like this:
    If GB take only one rider, then Australian get the freed up spot for a 3rd rider.
    Join the obvious dots in that.
  • dish_dash
    Ooof and that's legit? I can't keep up with these track rules...
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

I'm having a very slow-brain day. Could you map the dots out for me a bit more clearly?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    The_Boy wrote:

I'm having a very slow-brain day. Could you map the dots out for me a bit more clearly?

Shane Sutton has a daughter he only just found out about who happens to be the third best female sprinter in Australia... Possibly?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • The_Boy
    Oh, hang on. SS is aussie, right?

No wonder I've only managed one paragraph of my coursework so far today.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I know real men don't eat quiche, etc, but from what we read/hear, Shane Sutton comes across as a bit of a nasty bastard, especially where the women are concerned.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:

My guess (and this may be wide of the mark) is that to take an extra sprinter Australia would have leave out a sub/reserve from the pursuit team thereby weakening them. But that may well be nonsense.
  • The_Boy
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I know real men don't eat quiche, etc,

The who don't do what now?
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

My guess (and this may be wide of the mark) is that to take an extra sprinter Australia would have leave out a sub/reserve from the pursuit team thereby weakening them. But that may well be nonsense.

Hmm. Surely they'd just not take up the extra place either?

Clearly, I wouldn't last five minutes in King's Landing.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Ok, not so obvious.
    GB will take their full quota.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    See now I understood the conspiracy theory but now you've lost me.

Are the Australians giving us a sprinter?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017