Boots for Raceface Chester?

iRaves
iRaves Posts: 50
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys. Quick one hopefully.

I have recently upgraded to Raceface Chester cranks but my Raceface boots just don't fit on them.

The Chester is reasonably chunky. They are an alloy crank but I wonder whether the boots for carbon crank might be bigger or something.

Just seems a bit daft that raceface make both crank and boot but it doesn't fit :(

Any intel. Would be appreciated

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure why you even want boots on an alloy crank to be honest!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iRaves
    The Rookie wrote:

Simply because I ride all natural trails and moors. Which are extremely tough on the end of your pedal arm. One ride out and you will be hitting rocks and stuff. Can't be helped cant be avoided.

I just wanted to keep my new pedal arms looking tidy.

If you rode trail centres then yeah I see your point but I don't generally go near those places. It's all about the real trails.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The Rookie wrote:
    +1
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Rookie wrote:

Because the OP believes a couple of extra grams in weight is worth it for keeping your crank ends unscraped and undented? If they're just a bit of a tight fit rather than being impossibly tight, try warming them up in some hot water before you push them on. Otherwise, try the ones for carbon cranks. If these turn out to be too loose, get a carbon crankset because you've got the boots already.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • iRaves
    Giraffoto wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Because the OP believes a couple of extra grams in weight is worth it for keeping your crank ends unscraped and undented? If they're just a bit of a tight fit rather than being impossibly tight, try warming them up in some hot water before you push them on. Otherwise, try the ones for carbon cranks. If these turn out to be too loose, get a carbon crankset because you've got the boots already.

Finally someone with sense.

As a mountain biker I don't give a shit about weight. It's irrelevant. If I am buying a new bike then yeah but a carbon crank set is pointless. If I put a small amount of extra water in my camelbak then I have just lost the weight difference. Having or not having crank boots is like having jam on my toast in the morning or not...

I just want my shiny new cranks to stay shiny and new. :(

I will buy some carbon and some alloys I will warm the largest ones up if neither fit. Thanks for your help, everyone else smh
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fair enough, for me on alloy cranks it doesn't bother me.

As for weight, if you put the water in the camel;back AND have the boots you still weigh more......but if it's not something that you worry about then that's fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.