Single

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited April 2016 in Commuting general
I been commuting on a Ridley carbon Cross bike for 6 years, about a 15 mile journey each way everyday. I cannot remember when I last used public transport to my office. I find my cross bike very useful for potholes (sturdy), high clearance for mud, rain etc, riding on pave even in rain i.e - jumping up on the Embankment cycle/walking path whilst the London traffic behaves the way it does. The tyres I use Vittoria touring 28 didn't get a puncture all winter through London, though I remove splints every weekend, the tyre kevlar belt is so thick it would take a serious sharp object to puncture :) these tyres make you work harder.

Problems with Cross bike - moved from yolk brakes to cantilever a pain and even with TPR not that great, need adjusting all the time. Moved to a compact 50/34 from cross standard with a 11-25, sick and tired of cleaning the drive chain, rather do this with my race bike!

My plan - to buy a single speed. Less maintenance #1, produce a more efficient pedal stroke #2, needs to be a carbon if possible#3, thinking of a 48x18.

Any bike anyone would suggest, I go reasonably hard when I can, my commute when I can is like a training session. I checked out Condors and Cinelli but they are all Alu any carbon I prefer or alu/steel with carbon fork. Any commuters switched to SS and happy?

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    I switched from geared to single speed earlier this year after becoming totally fed up with maintenance, replacing chains, forgetting to replace chains and having to replace cassettes too, even bloody chainrings. I run a steel frame with 48*16 set up.

So far, so good, however...

I do get a bit fed up with spinning out when the speeds increase. I naturally push a low cadence and tend to top out at about 27-28mph.

While it's definitely made me stronger, I'm experiencing more muscle pain from the efforts required on what few hills I have to deal with, and standing starts from lights etc... (It's only been a few months, so probably still adapting.)

I'm running my geared bike more frequently now that the weather's improving and I want to extend the commute (no bad thing) but it kind of defeats the purpose.

All in all, glad I switched. Just. If I was the type of character who enjoyed fettling, and was reliable enough to replace a chain every 1500 miles or so, I think I'd be better off sticking with the gears..
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Any reason it HAS to be carbon?

I had a SS for a while, 48x18 worked well enough for me. Pushing a big gear uphill did give me knee trouble though, so do make sure your knees are strong and tracking correctly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carbon single speed does seem a contradiction somehow, unless its a fixie why not just run with vertical dropouts and a tensioner?

You just missed out on a nice Litespeed Ti frame on ebay which was horizontal dropout I'm afraid!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Fixed.
    Nothing else to see here.

I switched probably 3 years ago, probably the same commute as you but 20 miles each way. It saved my interest in cycling, the commute was beginning to become a repetitive chore.

Single speed offers easier maintenance but you don't get the feeling of a direct connection, added control, better climbing, nicer workout and let's not forget, added kudos.

You've ruled them both out but I also have a Condor and a Cinelli :lol:

If you really want single speed, carbon, clearance for large tyres and mudguards( ? ) then (as suggested above) you'll probably want to convert a road frame with a tensioner.

On gearing; 48x18 (28c) is a nice winter gear. This winter I ran the same GI but with 46x17 (23c).
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    48X18 ??? how strong legs do you have ? or cadance is under 80 ?
  • iPete
    That translates into 19mph at 90rpm, on a flat commute that's ideal (for some), especially if it's freezing out.
  • Mantas
    what about windy days ?
  • iPete
    Depends entirely on the individual and where they ride. Even on a super windy day I find London is fairly sheltered.
    Then I'm a bit of a sadist and enjoy the windy days, it's a good workout and strong tailwinds are no good in that sense. Get low, keep on top of the gear and the momentum helps you punch into the wind, at least that's the perception I get.

The OP will need to discover what works for them but it takes time.
  • Mantas
    That's great that you have found your own gear :)
  • canoas
    The Rookie wrote:
    Carbon single speed does seem a contradiction somehow, unless its a fixie why not just run with vertical dropouts and a tensioner?

You just missed out on a nice Litespeed Ti frame on ebay which was horizontal dropout I'm afraid!

This was one of my plans and suggested by condor cycles. Use my current carbon cross bike, run tensioners with vertical dropouts, change to SS wheels/hub with brake levers. He did say that if you hit big potholes the tensioner sometimes comes loose, only issue. I might do this, cheaper option.
  • canoas
    Mantas wrote:

cheers, looking at the conversion then I would opt for a 47x17. that should do the trick
  • canoas
    Mantas wrote:

find this http://www.bikecalc.com/cadence_at_speed
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have a 1989 Peugeot Reynolds 753 frame that I use as a single speed running 49x17 with an eccentric rear hub rather than a tensioner. I've had too many tensioner issues to use then for any distance (though I still have one on my station hack).

With regards to gearing; I picked mine because I cover anywhere between 10 and 25 miles through London depending on where I'm working. My route is pretty flat with the only hills being Richmond Park so gearing for 20-22mph cruising is better than quick acceleration of hill climbing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I built a fixed bike because I liked the idea for commuting and I have to say I really don't like it.

I have 48 - 17 and it does cruise beautifully when you're rolling, but I found that once I got a puncture it was a massive pain in the ass to change without having quick release. plus without a back brake I didn't feel as confident as I do on my road bike.

Still it was a learning curve, and I don't think I could persuade my past self not to have a go at it.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • canoas
    Asprilla wrote:
    I have a 1989 Peugeot Reynolds 753 frame that I use as a single speed running 49x17 with an eccentric rear hub rather than a tensioner. I've had too many tensioner issues to use then for any distance (though I still have one on my station hack).

With regards to gearing; I picked mine because I cover anywhere between 10 and 25 miles through London depending on where I'm working. My route is pretty flat with the only hills being Richmond Park so gearing for 20-22mph cruising is better than quick acceleration of hill climbing.

Thanks for that great advice, Condors gave me the impression running tensioners is not a good idea - White Industries make top hubs and make an eccentric hub! http://road.cc/content/review/14733-whi ... ic-eno-hub well I go through Richmond Park as well!!! Using my cross bike is ideal as said high clearance, rugged tough forks. Only downer is cantilever brakes - hate them.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    canoas wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Thanks for that great advice, Condors gave me the impression running tensioners is not a good idea - White Industries make top hubs and make an eccentric hub! http://road.cc/content/review/14733-whi ... ic-eno-hub well I go through Richmond Park as well!!! Using my cross bike is ideal as said high clearance, rugged tough forks. Only downer is cantilever brakes - hate them.

There's another thread I think on commuting chat - "fixed with discs" - go!!!! ;)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've had my Specialized Langster a year now, in the last six months I've finally stopped wishing it was SS (it replaced a homemade SS Raleigh).

I use it on a 10-15 mile hilly commute into Bristol; on a Friday when your legs are tired and the final hill back home kicks up you've got no option but to grind the mile out. :-)

And yesterday I got a strava PB on a five mile stretch of my route, that includes all the times I've ridden it on geared bikes too. It's proper fast when you get going and the gradient suits the gearing.

Beware of the Langster though, I got mine in small (52cm) and I get toe overlap which can be a ballache on a fix geared bike, I think the geometry is very track specific? Having said that it's now got full guards on (via p-clips) so its a good year round commuter.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    canoas wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That's the hub I have with a WI free wheel and its excellent. Hasn't let me down yet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • canoas
    Asprilla wrote:
    canoas wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That's the hub I have with a WI free wheel and its excellent. Hasn't let me down yet.

:D:)