Ribble Geometry

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited April 2016 in Road general
I have been reading some sites and reviews, and people seem to be saying they found a ribble gran fondo more relaxed and comfortable than the ribble sportive racing. Ribble claim the sportive racing is the more comfortable. Can anyone vouch for both bikes. Unfortunatly they are very evenly priced so there is not much chance of someone owning both.

Or

People have been saying the Gran Fondo is uncomfortable over rougher roads, so maybe the sportive racing takes rough road better, but has a more aggressive position than the gran fondo?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    seanorawe wrote:
    I have been reading some sites and reviews, and people seem to be saying they found a ribble gran fondo more relaxed and comfortable than the ribble sportive racing. Ribble claim the sportive racing is the more comfortable. Can anyone vouch for both bikes. Unfortunatly they are very evenly priced so there is not much chance of someone owning both.

Or

People have been saying the Gran Fondo is uncomfortable over rougher roads, so maybe the sportive racing takes rough road better, but has a more aggressive position than the gran fondo?

You can work out how aggressive a frame is by dividing the stack (in mm) by the reach (in mm) providing you have those measurements. 1.40 or lower is aggressive whereas 1.50 or above is more relaxed.
  • seanorawe
    You can work out how aggressive a frame is by dividing the stack (in mm) by the reach (in mm) providing you have those measurements. 1.40 or lower is aggressive whereas 1.50 or above is more relaxed.

Good tip
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a Gran Fondo; bought because I need minimum TT, max HT to suit my proportions. I think it is a shorter geometry than the Sportive racing but there is a difference in frame angles too so virtual top tube and head tube aren't the only considerations.

As for comfort - mine is the second generation which has very fat tubes which should give it more stiffness than a Sportive Racing and hence less comfort. However, the latest generation GF is a lot slimmer so whether this still applies is not necessarily clear.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    seanorawe wrote:

Or

I'd never seen that before. I was thinking the likes of the Canyon Ultimate CF was more agresssive than my Scott CR1 but by those numbers it's actually about the same.

Some have different ideas on what 'reach' is however. AFAIK it's from the BB centre to the middle of the headset
    cap taken horizontally. One bike fit report has it saddle nose to headset. Another has bb centre to middle of STi levers.
  • seanorawe
    I used a geo comparing tool on the net and this is the results.

The green bike is the gran fondo and the red bile is the sportive racing

I7xCS4A.png
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    seanorawe wrote:
    I used a geo comparing tool on the net and this is the results.

I've been looking for something like that for a while, got a link?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • seanorawe
    drlodge wrote:

The very one
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Google is amazing, took me all of 5 seconds to find it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I used this one http://www.bikegeo.net/

very useful when comparing specs and want the right stem length to bring the geometry it into place.

This will do 3 bike specs and no need to download anything.
  • seanorawe
    The GF and SR are almost identical in Geo. The SR is slightly lighter and looks like it would be more aero. The GF in my opinion looks better and the colours stand out more. Does eeny meeny miney mo work on bikes? Didn't work out too well for someone on walking dead.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0