Defy. 1 2 or 3

Holdey
Holdey Posts: 38
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm newish to biking and thinking of buying a giant defy. I know the frames are the same and the groupset different. As a newish cyclist would I find much difference between a sora. Tiagra or 105

Also can someone recommend good insurance for third party and bike cover.

Thanks holdey :D

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Get the best one you can afford. The 1 has 105. 105 is a better option overall in terms of upgrading in the future. Tiagra is quite lovely now mind.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    The Defy frames are not all the same, 0, 1, 2 are Aluxx SL D-Fuse, and have a Pressfit BB. The 3 and 4 are Aluxx non D-Fuse, (round seat tube) and have a threaded BB. So your choice is between the Aluxx SL frame and 11 or 10 speed, or the Aluxx frame and 9 or 8 speed, plus whichever colour scheme your prefer if any.
  • Holdey
    Thanks. So would it be better going for a 2 as it has a better frame than a three
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I bought a second hand Defy 3 last year (classifieds on here). It was a 2013 Model but in mint++ condition. It has a round seat post - easy to upgrade at later date. It currently has Sora chainset which I will at some point upgrade to 105 11speed with Hollowtech II BB. I've already upgrade the brakeset to 105 albeit 5700. Great bike. Very comfortable to ride. The frames are intrinsically the same geometry and composition wise. Just seat tube and BB are different.

I want 105 to get better spacing between gears. I run a 11-32 on the back with a GS Derailleur (another upgrade I did on original). The gaps between gears are bigger than I like cadence-wise. I've only been road biking for 1 year so I knew very little at first. I didn't even know if I'd like it at all. but I love it and now I'm very poor.....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• dj58
    The Defy 2 Aluxx SL is double butted and lighter than the Aluxx Defy 3, see the link to the Giant website for the full explanation. If I was purchasing a Defy I would go for the SL frame, so in your case if in budget the Defy 2 with the 10 speed 4700 Tiagra 50/34 -11-32T which has a good range of gears for a new to road bikes rider.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/tec ... /aluxx/56/
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    DJ58 wrote:
    The Defy 2 Aluxx SL is double butted and lighter than the Aluxx Defy 3, see the link to the Giant website for the full explanation. If I was purchasing a Defy I would go for the SL frame, so in your case if in budget the Defy 2 with the 10 speed 4700 Tiagra 50/34 -11-32T which has a good range of gears for a new to road bikes rider.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/tec ... /aluxx/56/

Hmmm...seems that the 2013 Frame is higher spec than the current models as it features ALUXX SL Double Butted that is now only in Defy 2 and 1. Seems like I got a bargain :)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• dj58
    edited April 2016
    Yes IIRC up to 2012/13 all of the Aluxx Defy models were the same SL frame, that changed in 2014 and again in 2015 with the introduction of the D-Fuse frames/ non D-fuse models, so yes you got good buy which can be upgraded when necessary.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Get the best one you can afford. The 1 has 105. 105 is a better option overall in terms of upgrading in the future. Tiagra is quite lovely now mind.

This would be my advice. I have last year's Defy 0 and whilst Ultegra is lovely I can hardly tell any difference when I ride my wife's 105 equipped Canyon.
  • Holdey
    Thanks all for the advice. One last thing any advice on best bike insurance.

I think I'll be going for a defy 2 in medium as I'm 5'8 with 29 inch inside leg.

Thanks holdey