Need advice on converting from drop to flatbars

bucklb
bucklb Posts: 296
edited May 2016 in The workshop
Hi

After 10 years commuting on flat bars (14 miles each way) I decided to make the leap to drops and bought a new bike. I've had the bike 30 days and I've b*****ed my elbows in that time.

I've had a bike fit which involved lowering the saddle, a shorter stem etc. I've also double wrapped the bars (and double gloved my hands) to try and mitigate the situation. Nothing seems to be helping so it looks to me like my elbows don't get on with drops. It'll be easier to amend the bike than my elbows, so that's what I'm planning to do.

The bike in question is : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substance-sora-2016/

I'm hoping it's basically a matter of getting flat bars, new shifters and new brake levers and some VERY padded grips. The devil will, as always, be in the details though. Anyone been through this process and able to offer any words of advice please?

I'm specifically concerned about whether I can just use normal levers with those brakes.

All help/advice/sympathy gratefully received.

Cheers
Bob

Comments

• sicknewt
    sicknewt Posts: 181
    Hi,

You will need the Tiagra R440 9 Speed Flat Bar Shifter Set - they work with road derailleurs, you can't use MTB shifters with road derailleurs.

Avid Speed Dial Brake Levers should work with those brakes.

Good luck!

Nick
  • bucklb
    I seem to be making a lot of costly errors, so thanks for saving me from that one (buying MTB shifters).

I'm guessing the key thing is to buy road specific shifters rather than exactly that Tiagra set (that seem rather hard to get hold of). So would Sora SL-3500 levers work too?

Ta
    Bob
    Yup, looks like those Sora SL-3500 shifters would work too...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    if you bought this from wiggle could you not return it? ie distance selling regs? and maybe get a flat bar road bike?

the intrigated shifters of drop bars do add cost, at the £500 ish point hybrids are better speced than CX
  • bucklb
    Thanks for the input.

I'm trying to see if I can adapt to the drops. It's possible the damage was one prior to the bike fit and will take a wee while to settle down, rather than causing more damage. I'll have to decide when to call it quits - tennis elbow sucks.

The bike was bought shop soiled (20% off) which it turns out excludes it from the 30 day trial from Wiggle :( I did ask though, on the off chance that the elbow issues might sway them. No luck.

I normally ride on the hoods/shoulders now. I use the drops probably 10% of the time (the few bits where traffic allows). I don't lock my elbows, though I may have done for the first few days :oops: as the bike position was a little stretched for me at the time.

Assuming I do go for flat bars in the end, I plan to take the drops off, complete with brake cables and outers (rather than have to untape the bar). The gear cables will go too, but I plan to leave the outers in place. That way I hope to be able to retry the drops again at some point in the future. Is that reasonable or am I deluding myself?

Cheers
    bucklb wrote:
    Thanks for the input.

I'm trying to see if I can adapt to the drops. It's possible the damage was one prior to the bike fit and will take a wee while to settle down, rather than causing more damage. I'll have to decide when to call it quits - tennis elbow sucks.

The bike was bought shop soiled (20% off) which it turns out excludes it from the 30 day trial from Wiggle :( I did ask though, on the off chance that the elbow issues might sway them. No luck.

When did you speak to Wiggle? The shop-soiled thing might (and only might) screw up their 30 days returns ( if they made it absolutely clear and not just in the small print) - but I do not think it will change your legal right (under consumer contract regulations 2013) to cancel a contract made over the internet within 14 days after delivery without penalty. There are a few provisos - but none of the stuff you have mentioned would mean you have lost your right.

If you contacted them within 14 days I think another phone call complaining about their material misrepresentation of the position might be in order. If they have told you within 14 days that you don't have the right to cancel and get your money back then they now have a problem - all of your subsequent expenses have flowed from that
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    sicknewt wrote:
    Hi,

....you can't use MTB shifters with road derailleurs.

Nick

Only applies to 10 speed setups; on 9 speed, which is what this is, you should be able to. I'm currently using XT & Deore LX shifters on 105 front and rear mechs and my hybrid was using Deore shifters with a Tiagra rear mech.

You would have to watch what brake levers you used though, as road discs and MTB discs tend to be different.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Road brake levers and MTB brake levers have different pull ratios, use a road calliper with an MTB lever and you'll struggle to stop, use an MTB calliper with a road lever and you get a long lever but then quite sharp braking once it engages.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    how about trying a flared drop bar like the On-One Midge or Nitto DirtDrop? you might find them a decent compromise and its a cheaper option than replacing all the controls as well

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMI/on-o ... -handlebar
    http://hubjub.co.uk/nitto-dirt-drop-rm014-126-p.asp
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Just ride on the hoods? For a couple of my bikes, I find it horrible riding on the drops
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)