The Most Important Decision yet.... this year

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited April 2016 in The cake stop
Elections of the Police And Crime Commissioner thing..... big decision... much reading to do.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    yeah, I was stuck with that one, what to do with the polling card? Satisfaction of chucking it in the bin or the decent thing of the recycling box. Went with the latter and slept well.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I can't remember the exact figures, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but in my locale the police and crime commissionaire was elected with a turnout of, I think, just 12%!!
  • RideOnTime
    http://www.theguardian.com/public-leade ... byelection

10.3% turnout and it cost £3.7m to run the ballot.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Interesting grauniad article. Didn't realise the timescale issue making it effectively an party political post. In my view parties should be banned. It should purely be local, concerned citizens who can and want to give back to their communities. It shouldn't be party political post but dream on, party politics is in everything.

We've got our polling cards. I seriously doubt that we'll use them. I think we had one brochure come through the door and that was the local candidate for council. Nothing about commissioner candidates. All a tier of elected officials neither wanted or needed. But at least it's allowed the political elite to say they've given us more democracy. Technically that's "yes", but not the democracy needed. We need right of recall for all elected officials. We need something to correct the devolution mess (IMHO). All before we need a made up elected official that's got no history in our traditions unlike say America.
  • RideOnTime
    Yes, I would reply, but a load of crime figures etc to get through before I make up my mind.
    Hood count that seems a good measure.