Giro Pre Race Chat - Not for Spoilers!

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited May 2016 in Pro race
Inner Ring Preview to get the ball rolling.

http://inrng.com/2016/04/giro-contenders-2016/
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    My favourite GT of the year, and very much looking forward to the 'Maratona' stage.
  • Looking forward to this, looks wide open.

Completely forgot Leo Konig existed
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Dilemma

Should I go down the road to watch the start here or should I use the long weekend we have here to go riding in the hills?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It's a really weak field this year. Nibali, Landa, Dumoulin, Chaves, Majka, Zakarin. That's about it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Ja it's between Nibs and Landa isn't it?

Dumolin needs to at least be on the podium of a GT before he can be headline for a GT starting field.
  • No love for Rigo Duran? Fancy him for a podium
  • Dupe
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    There's also Valverde. It's about time Froome gave the Giro a go (since becoming a GT winner that is).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    (My man) Davide Formolo is also riding and is also probably not in actual contention.
  • joelsim
    Not sure at all about Rio Duran Duran, he's been off the boil for a couple of years.

Formolo has the talent to do well if he can limit his ITT losses.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Sergey Firsanov will be this year's Mauro Santambrogio.
    I can't wait for him to hit the tv screens of cycling fans everywhere.
    Bound to cause some serious wtf? moments.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Mechanism wrote:
    There's also Valverde. It's about time Froome gave the Giro a go (since becoming a GT winner that is).

I think the only way froome would do it was if he woke up the day before and decided he fancied it, then checked the long range forecast and found it was going to be warm and dry for three weeks.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I was hoping Pierre Rolland would have been going to Giro now that he is free from the shackles of being a French rider on a French PCT team.

He looked strong the one time he's done the race, and would have been good to see what he could manage with it has main focus forthe season.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Sergey Firsanov will be this year's Mauro Santambrogio.
    I can't wait for him to hit the tv screens of cycling fans everywhere.
    Bound to cause some serious wtf? moments.

Good call
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Excited for this, it was my favourite gt of last year.

I hope Chaves does well.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Rigo uran is an outside favourite because its more TT centric. Can't see past Nibbles really, if he's in the mood he'll smash Landa in the TT's and wheelsuck him uphill. Valverde for a stage or 2 and a top 4 final position. that's 4..
  • philbar72 wrote:
    Rigo uran is an outside favourite because its more TT centric. Can't see past Nibbles really, if he's in the mood he'll smash Landa in the TT's and wheelsuck him uphill. Valverde for a stage or 2 and a top 4 final position. that's 4..

Smiley Chaves a shot at podium, I reckons
  • ddraver
    Are you coming over RR?
    - @ddraver
  • ^For the opening weekend, ddraver? Possibly, with cameras in hand. Need to check in with Goat
  • ddraver
    a secret project in the works for you two?
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    philbar72 wrote:

top 5 for chaves I'd say.

who's BMC's big dog, or are they just going for a top 10 again?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

Too much TT miles for Landa I reckon. Unless Nibali is in poor form.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

top 5 for chaves I'd say.

who's BMC's big dog, or are they just going for a top 10 again?

No big dog, nor even a small Tasmanian terrier
  • joelsim
    Damiano Caruso I would imagine.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Why is Cancellara starting?
  • Pink Jersey?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Why is Cancellara starting?
    A prologue and a time trial and nothing too hard in first nine stages?

He's never won a Giro stage or worn the Jersey and his parents are Italian. Bucket list stuff.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Milton50 wrote:

Landa was imperious at Trentino - Nibali looked a bit pony.
    On the plus side for the latter, it was a good work-out and will serve as motivation for his massive ego.
    On the plus side for the former, the TTs in the Giro are flat/short, conky/not too long and short/up a bloody mountain- I suspect that at Sky - as a year old GC contender - he's been doing some TT practice.
  • FDj have stuck Demarre in and stopped the we can have a sprinter and GC rider at the Tour They are actually beginning to get a bit of a climbing team together with Geniez Ellisonde ( come on Kenny there we're waiting) Reichenbach Morabitto and Jennesson ( oh no they dumped him) so it might be no sprints at the Tour
  • thchris1958
    thchris1958 Posts: 117
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Landa was imperious at Trentino - Nibali looked a bit pony.
    On the plus side for the latter, it was a good work-out and will serve as motivation for his massive ego.
    On the plus side for the former, the TTs in the Giro are flat/short, conky/not too long and short/up a bloody mountain- I suspect that at Sky - as a year old GC contender - he's been doing some TT practice.

Landa was imperious and super calm. His TT position has been checked at velodrome of Mallorca during training camp this winter.