Womens cycling leggings

sallis84
sallis84 Posts: 2
edited June 2018 in Women's cycling forum
Hi All

have just joined this forum as I have just started cycling to work and back which is an all round 28 miles a day! I have been doing loads of research but still can't seem to find any decent womens leggings that have good padding in the bum area and a bit of thermal protection...any reccommendations?>

Thanks

Isabelle

Comments

• Legs11
    Legs11 Posts: 2
    Hi Isabelle,

I have used a few brands over the past few years. Wiggle DHB leggings have reasonably good padding (as do their shorts) also well priced for commuting. When it comes to women's kit i have to say, rapha works well for me. The leggings are great, good padding & flattering length on the 3/4, nice and high in the waist. I have some Chapeau CC shorts which i find super comfy, they also have leggings. Rapha and Chapeau are at the top(ish) end, but if you are doing lots of riding and are keen to stay comfy then it might be worth the extra ££.

Good luck!
  • Good luck with your commute - all very exciting and 28 miles round trip will be a great workout!

My first pair of padded pants were Muddy fox - dirt cheap from Sports Direct - made of cheap sponge, but do you know what. They were (and still are) super, really comfy. I bought another pair a few weeks ago - think they were about £12. They do different styles - shorts, capri's and longs. All have the same spongy padding, but they do the trick.

I also have a pair of Dare2B, a pair of Altura and a pair of Corinne Dennis. Price varies from £18 -49.

The main issues I think is that some really do make you look as if you have a camel toe! - can be very embarrassing. Ive never had an uncomfy pair. out of the 4 different makers that I own.

I ride throughout the winter and find that as long as my trunk is warm (and my hands and feet) I dont really need any thermal. You can get pants that are made of a thermal type material (slightly fleecy on the inside) and that should help.

As a X Large (thats a size 14 in human size) -my problem is always about trying to find pants that are large enough. Oh, and for some reason all the leg lengths assume that you are 5ft 8-9 inches.

Depending upon your budget, I would say, definitely consider Muddy Fox, and see how you get on - of course, if budget really is no concern then consider Altura. The 4 brands that I have mentioned all fit me (size 14) but as mentioned I have to buy large or X large in order to get pants that fit.

Good luck with your commute
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    Assos. They do a fleece lined legging - and in 3/4 length. Worth the money - it'll last. I also like the padding in ale and they do a winter legging.

I personally find the rapha padding lacking. It's much thinner than assos - and I'm fine for like 20 mile ride. But above that & it isn't fun.
  • I'm a bit late to this party, but I thought I would mention I've just bought some DHB biblongs - the thermal is lovely and the padding is great. They might also do leggings, if you can't get past the strap/boob interference. I think retailers should give an indication of padding as standard - sometimes it will mention it in the description, but sometimes it's a chore to find out if leggings are padded at all.
    I also have some Altura leggings which are lovely and warm but the padding is a bit meh, which is sad because I have some Altura knickers which are brilliant. Also the reflective panels on my leggings cut into my leg flab XD
  • pitters
    pitters Posts: 12
    I really like castelli or morvelo leggings. I find them warm and the padding is great and suits me. I have tried Rapha but they are not nearly so comfy. I only buy them in sales .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My wife has some Pearl Izumi ''Knickers'' ( tights ) and they are fleecy lined...she says they are really comfortable and warm too.......will have a look to see if I can find the name and report back.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Leggings or summer tights for women who me legs covered ??
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tbf it was April 2016 when the question was asked.