Double to triple

_jon_
_jon_ Posts: 366
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hello,

This may be a stupid question but I have a Shimano 105 5700 10 speed double groupset on my road bike and I'd like to change it to a triple. I've ordered the triple crankset but will I need new shifters and front derailleur as well?

The reason I ask is that the current one does have three clicks when you shift which has made me wonder if it would be compatible with both double and triple.

Jonathan

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    One of your clicks will be the trim function. You need a 5703 triple shifter and a triple front mech
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It would be cheaper to switch to a sram climbers kit ie same double up front but a new rear mech and 11-32 cassette which will be the same as a triple setup
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Thanks for your replies. I had a feeling that might be the case. I'll get a front derailleur and front shifter ordered ( probably a second hand shifter looking at the price of them!).

I'm not overly concerned about making the hills easier with a granny ring, the reason I want a triple is because I've just never got on with having a double; I prefer the triple on my mountain bike as I can use the whole range of gears on the cassette (when in the middle ring at the front) without worrying about the chain line. Where I cycle it is lots of short up and downs so I'm constantly changing at the front with the double.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Don't know if it might have been easier to just switch the full groupset to the 4700 triple.

But as your surmise you'll need a new l/h shifter and front mech.