Help needed- Sun ringle free hub issue

rig111
rig111 Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I am currently out of the UK on work with a 4 month old bike which has developed an issue with the free hub. It is an Answer Atac hub which I believe is made by Sun Ringle. SRC model. 142/X12.

The other day I heard a loud crack and lost drive to the cassette. The local bike shop stripped it down to reveal perfectly intact pawls and what looked to be an intact ratchet ring. However the issue is still there as the cassette simply slips round the free hub with the slightest effort.

I have had great assistance so far from the dealer in UK that I bought it from. They have suggested replacing the pawls, springs and ratchet ring however I can't seem to source these here in Korea and an search online in UK reveals no stock for some of the parts needed.

So I am currently without bike and before I bring the bike back to UK to get dealer assistance (which will cost me with the airline) I wondered if anyone had any advice or input to the problem??

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't help you with your specific problem, but surely a new hub or wheel would cost a lot less than an airfare?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rig111
    Hi Cooldad, I'm coming home soon anyway. It's just that I usually leave the bike here so its not like I'm coming home just for the bike.

Airline charge is £70 plus risk of damage. I'm annoyed that a problem like this develops after such a short time but these things happen I suppose. I don't want to get a new hub just yet (high import duties here in Korea) so I will bring it home and let the dealer have a look, who like I say have been helpful so far.

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have they checked the alignment of the pawls with ring, maybe the ring is to far in or out in the hub and can be realigned?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rig111
    Hi The Rookie

I'm not sure about that to be honest but I can ask him to check it out.

Thanks
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    The Rookie wrote:
    Have they checked the alignment of the pawls with ring, maybe the ring is to far in or out in the hub and can be realigned?

Im going with that its about the only reason the hub wouldnt engage. The pawls should have springs behind each fitting to a drive ring. When freewheeling this is the clicking sound you can hear.
    Does sound like the pawls not doing their job for what ever reason..
  • rig111
    I hope thats the fix. Should be cheap repair, language barrier gets in the way though ;)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    AFAIK Sun Ringle hub is made by Chosen who also makes the Stans hubs (amongst others) - it's a pretty common OEM hub so spares should be readily available. Probably easiest would be to source a new hub and have wheel rebuilt.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..