Summer rain jersey/jacket?

pedarby
pedarby Posts: 28
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
I've not ridden through a summer yet so as the weather starts to improve I've bought my first pair of bib shorts and am excitedly looking forward to lots of commuting and riding in the sun :D

However this is the UK and I'd be a fool if I didn't expect the rain to continue sporadically through our 'summer' like it usually does.

What do you all find the best solution is, when the temperature increases but the rainfall continues...just ride in bib shorts & jersey and take the rain as it comes or do some of you opt for these fancy (and expensive!) gabba type jerseys?

I've seen a few slightly cheaper Gore options but still £70+ and still seem aimed at colder weather.

Any recommendations or tips for keeping dry during summer rain, whilst not overheating and boiling in a bag would be much appreciated.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As ever, I am not sure there is a right answer. A lot depends on you, your tolerance to be being wet and the type/length of time you ride.

Some of it depends on you - some people 'run hot' and some really feel the cold (I fall into this camp).

If temperatures are above 10-12 degrees and you are only our for a shorter ride, I often just put up with being wet if the weather is more showery.

If the temperatures are high teens or above, then definitely put up with showers and even worse - riding in heavy rain in summer can be a lot of fun!

Both of the above are based on riding at a reasonable pace, so keeping yourself warm.

If you are riding all day, or at a moderate pace, or the temperatures are lower, then that is, in my opinion, when you need to start thinking about things a bit more.

Anything below 10 degrees and heavy rain can get you in trouble pretty quickly. It is perfectly possible to suffer from hypothermia in those sort of conditions.

If you are riding all day, or at a more moderate pace, then trying to warm is often more important than trying to keep dry.

Personally, a really light rain cape (I have a sportful hot something or other about the size of an apple) and some light arm warmers is generally enough if I am out for a day ride in higher temperatures. It won't keep me 100% dry, but it is enough to keep the wind off and enough to fend off a shower.

If I am out riding all day/night or the temperatures are lower, then I take a proper rain jacket (gore something).

I am fairly old school, so not sure about this modern stuff like Gabba! Though I do love Castelli Nanoflex leg and knee warmers!

But, on the whole, in my opinion, keeping truly dry is only really needed if your are riding all day, at more moderate pace or the temperatures are lower.

If you are riding for a few hours at a harder pace, then you will generate more heat yourself and if it is just showers, then your clothes will dry pretty quick. A light rain cape in the back pocket is more than enough to keep you warm and the wind off you.

But, despite the above, do not underestimate rain in summer. As above, hypothermia is very possible in summer. As, typically, most of us ride for longer (time and distances) in summer, then it is possible to be in heavy rain for extended periods in summer, it doesn't take much for that to get dangerous. I think Ride London in 2014 is a good example. The weather was horrific, the heaviest rain I have ridden in in the UK, but it was warm (mid teens from memory). Had it been even 10 degrees, I have no doubt that there would have been huge numbers of riders in a lot of trouble with the cold.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    In winter I wear a jacket that's pretty rain resistant - and take a shell with me.

In summer - I have a very light packable cape - about £10 from Aldi. It works fine - you just need an extra layer to keep the wind off and be shower resistant. It'll spend most of its life in a pocket so you don't need to go OTT. Save your cash.

Armwarmers and at least knee warmers will get far more use.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    This is supposed to be a 'lighter, thinner' Gabba style jersey. It's not cheap though, £100+

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli- ... eve-jersey
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Good luck getting that in your back pocket.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if the temp is 10 deg or below I take a softshell like castelli Alpha/rapha pro team jacket.

in warmer temps I take castelli nanoflex arm warmers and a packable gilet (endura one)

If its gonna be chucking it down the whole ride I do have a long sleeve race cape but its very hot and not really packable.

I think now we are entering the time/temps when layering is tricky when it is going to be very wet.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use a gore windstopper jacket in winter and up to 10c, above 10c i find it too warm.

When above 10c i wear or carry a lightweight gore active shell which weighs next to nothing and fits easily in a jersey pocket.

It really depends how much you feel the cold and is best to wear a few thin layers you can remove as needed rather than a single thick layer.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    As others have said, it depends on the conditions and how long the ride is.

If it's a shortish commute, get a light packable rain cape. Be aware that the cheaper ones can be a bit boil-in-the-bag and you can end up wetter from sweat. A good one is the standard Sportful Hotpack (it comes in heavier 'no-rain' and lighter 'ultralight' versions). Officially, it's a wind-stopper for long descents but works well in the wet.

If its going to be a longer ride and colder when it rains, then the gabba-type jerseys are good - though expensive. These are more like regular jerseys that handle the wet better. They may let a bit through but will keep you warm. As well as the Castelli Gabba, you have the Capo Lombadia Jersey (not jacket) and Sportful do a Fiandre jersey. These might be more appropriate for training rides rather than commutes though.

Sigma sport have some good deals on the Capo at the moment.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Yeah, much depends on how warm the day is. The short sleeve Mossa is another great option. This week I'll be reviewing the Prendas Reef.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    In summer I just carry a sleeveless Gilet type thing in my back pocket. if it rains I stick this on and it does the trick on my body, I'm not overly bothered about my arms getting wet and I find it never gets too cold.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    In summer I just carry a sleeveless Gilet type thing in my back pocket. if it rains I stick this on and it does the trick on my body, I'm not overly bothered about my arms getting wet and I find it never gets too cold.

Agreed. And some rain repellent arm warmers help and can be stowed.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Something like this for commuting. £24 and folds up small.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-minima-s-wa ... 60449366uk
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Rain in the summer is a lot different to Winter rain. What I mean is the problem with rain in the Winter is the temperature and getting cold if you get wet. This isn't really a problem in the Summer (unless you're stuck in high mountains), you should keep pretty warm if you do get wet. So a short sleeve 'Mossa' style jersey might be a bit overkill (unless rain is forecast all day), my recommendation would be a lightweight wind proof gilet and armwarmers. Easy enough to pack down into a back pocket
  • Rollett
    Rollett Posts: 37
    I bought a Pearl Izumi Wind Barrier Elite (2015) on clearance, I ride by a river so fog and cold air in the morning. It helps a whole lot with keeping warm. Included is a link to the 2016 version of the jacket, I think the 2015 looks better though, and bought it for 40$ on clearance at a Pearl Izumi Store, 100% worth it.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ri ... 11315143DM
  • pedarby
    pedarby Posts: 28
    Really appreciate all the helpful comments everyone - sounds like experimentation is the way forward. I just bought a good value Altura gilet from wiggle that I can stick over a short or long sleeve jersey. I haven't worn in the rain yet but was a little chilly when I set off this morning and it did a great job as a windbreaker.

When it's really warm in the summer, and raining I don't suppose (over a 1 hour commute) that there's any harm in sticking with a short sleeve jersey and just enjoying a bit of rain!!
  • Border Cyclist
    Border Cyclist Posts: 1,279
    Jay_Forme wrote:

Agreed. And some rain repellent arm warmers help and can be stowed.

Spot on - despite gilets being pretty much the same material as rain capes, I think the lack of sleeves helps ventilation a lot. And they pack even smaller.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Castelli Fawesome is awesome.
  • Taeo1
    Taeo1 Posts: 17
    Castelli rain cape is perfect for me if I get caught out!!
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I recently took ownership of a the lusso giro rain jacket. £15 and ticks all the boxes. For the other 10 months of the year I've been using the trasparente, its their most under rated piece of gear and should be available for around £70 if you keep your eyes peeled.