XTR Drivetrain with KMC Chain

kire76
kire76 Posts: 14
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have an XTR 42/32/24 crank, XTR front and rear derailleur, XT 11/36 cassette and XT HG95 chain. I want to change my chain to a KMC X10 SL, will it work with my current setup? beacuse shimano said I should only use dynasys chains.

Thanks

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Will be fine, used KMC chains on both 10 and 11 speed shimano groupsets
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shock horror, Shimano say you should only use their chain.........although the statement could also be an indication you should only use the right Shimano chain (as opposed to the wrong one.....).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    KMC make all of Shimano higher level chains.......
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    What's wrong with the hg95 has it stretched already?

Found shimano chains to wear easily and now only use kmc x10-93 chains these seem to be more durable.

Will try the other kmc 10spd sometime.
  • kire76
    No just the normal after almost 2000 miles. I just want to give them a try because they're lighter than shimano.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    kire76 wrote:
    No just the normal after almost 2000 miles. I just want to give them a try because they're lighter than shimano.

how'd the hell you get 2000miles to a chain? bet the cassette and chain rings are knackered?
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • The Rookie
    Regular quality lubrication?

I track the mileage on my commuter and it went through 3 chains (one lasted 1k miles, 2x2k miles) before the cassette needed replacing, first chain and cassette were bought used.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kire76
    The last time that I change the chain the millage was exactly 1459miles and the cassette was on 1027miles. I clean and lub the cassette, crank and chain every week. I use finish line dry or wet lube according to the weather. Regularly every two chains I change the cassette to. Until this day no shifting problems with my current parts.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Regular quality lubrication?

I track the mileage on my commuter and it went through 3 chains (one lasted 1k miles, 2x2k miles) before the cassette needed replacing, first chain and cassette were bought used.

hmm, I tend to replace both at the same time as on my cassettes the gears 5-10 always seem to skip when I put a new chain on.

Think I need to pay more attention to my maintenance routine, the finish line ceramic wet chain oil you recommended seems to turn the chain black (stopped using squirt), is that normal or probably just dirt from riding on roads I wonder.

I use Kmc x10-93 chains which have lasted longer than Shimano.
  • The Rookie
    Finnish Line wet lube creates a mess, but for me that mess is worthwhile on my commuter for the protection.

On the MTB I use squirt and then wash and relube almost everytime I ride, if its been very wet/muddy then I use a small amount of wet lube and go for a short road ride, wipe off the excess and then use squirt, the aim being to get some lube back in where it is needed (inside the joints).