Big tyres for a 2016 Genesis CDF

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited September 2017 in Cyclocross
Hi all

I've just bought the 2016 Genesis Croix De Fer 20 as a jack of all trades (commuting mainly). http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... -de-fer-20 54cm

One thing I hope to do so is ride it off road on bridleways, gravel tracks, landrover tracks and some singletrack - all mixed up with tarmac. All day rides rather than touring. I'll be in the South Lakes and Scottish highlands mainly for this sort of thing. Mainly in summer probably not too muddy by cyclocross standards (based on what I've seen - never tried it).

I'll need a 2nd set of tyres, something more off road focused which are acceptable on road - a happy 50/50 compromise in other words. So
1) How big do you think I can go on the CDF - 40mm, 42mm, 44mm?
2) Any specific tyres you recommend?

My background is MTB and then road - looking forward to something inbetween!

Thanks.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    I use tubeless 35mm Schwalbe G-Ones one my '16 CdF, but that's with mudguards. They come out at about 38mm on my rims and work very well on and off-road, with the caveat that they're not a mud tyre.

Without 'guards, you could easily fit the 38mm version in there.

The Surly Knard 41 is also worth looking at.
  • passout
    That's useful - thanks. Had a quick look and both look good options.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    Update: after a bit of research went for a continental cross speed on the rear & cross ride up front. Just ordered them. Both 42mm, which I think/hope will fit the 2016 CDF. Genesis blog suggests they should be at the very upper end of what will fit but should be fine although seems to suggest 40mm max on website. BTW, link to tyres here: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Continental-Cro ... GwodD1kL-A - quite a good price. Nanos, Knards & above recommendations all looked good, so did landcruisers for the money.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    G-one are superb. Fast, work on so many surfaces.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    I have 2015 croix de fer with carbon fork so clearances may be slightly different. I've had several set ups and show two of my most recent:

1. First pic is with 700c h plus son archetype rims with 700x38mm compass Barlow pass extra light tyres. They are made by panaracer and are very supple and roll beautifuly on the road and hard pack surfaces. I run them around 50-55 psi. Also with a bit of fettling can fit sks p45 guards.

16k7xop.jpg

2. 2nd pic is with smaller wheel set, mavic xm 719 27.5 rims with 650Bx42mm panaracer gravel king tyres. The guards are Velo Zeppelin 52mm. Could probably go a bit wider with guards and definitely wider without guards. Will be experimenting with some 650B mtb tubeless tyres in the winter.

2mg0c8z.jpg

It's not a light bike but I love mine and prefer it to my carbon road bike. I had a look at the new titanium cdf yesterday which would build up lighter but I'm trying to resist..

Let us know how the 700x42 size up.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Stavgold wrote:
    I have 2015 croix de fer with carbon fork so clearances may be slightly different. I've had several set ups and show two of my most recent:

1. First pic is with 700c h plus son archetype rims with 700x38mm compass Barlow pass extra light tyres. They are made by panaracer and are very supple and roll beautifuly on the road and hard pack surfaces. I run them around 50-55 psi. Also with a bit of fettling can fit sks p45 guards.

2. 2nd pic is with smaller wheel set, mavic xm 719 27.5 rims with 650Bx42mm panaracer gravel king tyres. The guards are Velo Zeppelin 52mm. Could probably go a bit wider with guards and definitely wider without guards. Will be experimenting with some 650B mtb tubeless tyres in the winter.

It's not a light bike but I love mine and prefer it to my carbon road bike. I had a look at the new titanium cdf yesterday which would build up lighter but I'm trying to resist..

Nice setup. Is that the Alpkit top tube bag? Is the change to 650B wheels for tyre clearance? Does that change the handling?
  • passout
    Stavgold wrote:

16k7xop.jpg

2mg0c8z.jpg

Thanks for all that info - great.

Must admit, that I hadn't thought of smaller wheels - makes sense especailly for off road work with those tyres.

I read that the 42mm contis come up it bit small (more like 38mm on some rims) - we'll see. The order for the front tyre has been cancelled due to low stock. Before re-odering elsewhere, I had a another quick look around. Now tempted to get the on-one gravel tyre for the front - apparently they come up as just under the stated width. Also looked at Knards but hard to get hold of in the UK. Here's the on-one, any thoughts anybody? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOGRT1/on-one-gravel-road-bsc-type-1-folding-tyre
  • G-one are superb. Fast, work on so many surfaces.

Been curious about the G-One (and the Big-Ones), are they resisting wear when used on the roads?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    Alex99 wrote:
    Stavgold wrote:

Nice setup. Is that the Alpkit top tube bag? Is the change to 650B wheels for tyre clearance? Does that change the handling?

Yes - 650B to increase clearance for wider tyres but still room for guards. Going to use it for some future bike packing trips. Not noticed massive difference in handling but definitely only have minimal toe overlap now.
    Yes - bag is alpkit possum in large (my cdf is a 58cm)
  • passout
    Just bought a 40mm WTB Nano for the front and will try to fit a Conti Speed Ride 42 on the back (they come up small apparently) as mentioned previously. Gave up trying to get the Knard (the one with with higher TP1) & couldn't find enough reviews on the On One although it looks great value. Many of the other options were a bit pricey for me.

Thanks for your help all,
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    G-one are superb. Fast, work on so many surfaces.

Been curious about the G-One (and the Big-Ones), are they resisting wear when used on the roads?

Yep. Prob put 500 miles on now and very little wear.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Stavgold wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Stavgold wrote:

Yes - 650B to increase clearance for wider tyres but still room for guards. Going to use it for some future bike packing trips. Not noticed massive difference in handling but definitely only have minimal toe overlap now.
    Yes - bag is alpkit possum in large (my cdf is a 58cm)

Thanks!
  • passout
    RE 2016 Geneis Croix De Fer 20 (small) - I can confirm that conti speed cross 42mm fits the rear with OK clearance and WTB Nano 40mm fits the front with plenty of clearance. Don't have proper measuring devices but both tyres look close to 4cm across on those alex rims.
  • tec
    tec Posts: 2
    @passout, how are you finding those tyres now? I've recently purchased a CdF20 and have been looking for some wider tyres but I'm unsure what I can get away with. The arm of the front derailleur is already very close to the stock 35C tyres when on the large chainring.
  • passout
    tec wrote:
    @passout, how are you finding those tyres now? I've recently purchased a CdF20 and have been looking for some wider tyres but I'm unsure what I can get away with. The arm of the front derailleur is already very close to the stock 35C tyres when on the large chainring.

Fine. I haven't noticed any issues when riding - although I haven't been looking for them to be honest. Not done much off road (just a few linking tracks) so pis has been running quite high. I think that contis are quite fast and nano are pretty fast at higher pressures.
  • tec
    tec Posts: 2
    passout wrote:
    Fine. I haven't noticed any issues when riding - although I haven't been looking for them to be honest. Not done much off road (just a few linking tracks) so pis has been running quite high. I think that contis are quite fast and nano are pretty fast at higher pressures.

Good stuff. I''ll be giving the WTB Nanos a go!
  • passout
    Update. Been doing quite a bit of off road recently - bridleways in N. Yorks and a bit of singletrack. Love the 40mm WTB Nanos - sound all rounder, confidence inspiring off road. Less keen on folding 42mm conti speed rides - v.good on on tarmac, towpaths or gravel but too fragile for anything else including singletrack. When things get bumby or sharp they tend to pinch flat too easily IMO. Tempted to put Nano on rear too but will try landcruisers first as their puncture resistence is meant to be good. Will stick to nano up front.

Will save the contis as road tyres - will be good for that I think. Unless anyone want to buy a pair (one unused).
  • Alex99 wrote:
    Stavgold wrote:

Hi All, old post I know, but I'm interested as to what size 27.5 mtb tyres anyone has managed on a 2015 Croix? Without guards? I measured the gap 320mm in from the axel, which is where the fattest part of the tyre would sit. Looked like 2 inches would be a squeeze, so I'd appreciate any evidence to the contrary! Can't afford an Open UP frame at the mo (if ever!)

Thanks in advance : )
  • Stavgold wrote:

16k7xop.jpg

2mg0c8z.jpg

Apologies for bumping the post,

I'm really interested if anyone's tried 27.5 mtb tyres on a croix (2015). I've seen a photo of the 2014 with panaracer comets (2 inch). But I'd like to know anyone else's experience before trying this. Thanks - S
  • I was interested in giving this a bump.

From playing around with some 650 mtb tyres, I found that I could just about fit a 2.25" tyre in, but with too much rubbing to actually run. I'm now toying with the idea of getting some 650 wheels and running them with 2" tyres, which I think should fit. That said, I'm struggling to find too many choices that will fit a 11 speed Shimano road hub (Hunt or Alpkit seem the obvious choices).

Currently, many of my local bridalways are so muddy that even with 40mm Nanos on, they still feel a bit sketchy. I quite like the idea of a really wide tyre that I take to the local mtb trail centres. I'm also quite lazy, so buying a completely new wheelset is easier than having to swap tyres, mudguards and potentially also brake rotors.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    So what pressure are you running the Nano's at, in the mud I'd be down to 23psi front and 26psi rear. The low pressure makes them clear better due to flex.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • I've been running the Nano's between about 35-40psi. I'd be worried about pinch flats if they were much lower. Are you running tubeless? One of the big reasons for thinking about some new wheels is the ability to go tubeless.
  • cheremenin
    cheremenin Posts: 2
    edited February 2020
    I've been wanting to get a 650b wheelset, mine is a 2018 model 30, will 47-50mm tires fit?

I'd really like to run 2.0 27.5 MTB tires for off-road