Looking for great trails / pubs / camping ....in that order

KingOfSmug
KingOfSmug Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in MTB beginners
Hello all.

Myself and a 3 or 4 friends are looking at going on a Mountain Biking day in mid-May. We are fairly new to the sport, although we are (mostly) fit and up for a (survivable) challenge.

We are from Stockport (North-West) and would like to travel somewhere first thing (within a couple of hours) on a Saturday morning, spend the morning / afternoon riding some interesting and moderately challenging trails, preferably with some nice views to distract us from pain that will no doubt be searing through our quadriceps.

The plan is to then have a few evening beers and nice bit of pub grub, followed by camping and probably a few more beers while sharing injury stories. We are open to campsites, but personally, I think public (wild) camping is more fun - campfire essential!

I would imagine we are looking at one of the following areas :

Delamere Forest
North Wales
Lake District (southern regions)
Peak District

A couple of my friends don't have bikes yet so would need to hire(perhaps somewhere local to the area).

Any suggestions from those in the know are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Snowdonai is where I'd be looking.
  • WhyteSky
    WhyteSky Posts: 70
    Coed y Brenin near Dolgellau.

Plenty of campsites if you decided not to wild camp but the nee rear you get to summer the more likely you're going to need to book.

There are a few pumps in Barmouth or if staying closer to Brenin then some pubs in Dolgellau or The George just outside Dolgellau at the top of the Mawwdach estuary.

Alternatively you've got the Marin trail. Finally, being in Stockport, there's tonnes of riding just along the snake pass with amazing views but I guess you know that.

Only problem with wild camping is that it can be difficult to find somewhere suitable near a pub. Maybe make your own pub next to your tents?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Forget Delamere Forest. You can get there by train but it is small and a bit crowded.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Thanks for everyone's reply, guys. It seems that there's that much choice.....I'll just have to go back and try them all!

However, in the meantime, I went for Coed-y-Brenin as a bike hire / trail centre choice and the Torrent Walk campsite in Dolgellau as a base. Not wild camping, but it allows campfires and seems to be a suitable for campsite for 4 blokes wanting a few civilized beers by the fire.

All I need now, is to choose a nice pub, for tea and evening beverages, in Dolgellau.

@WhyteSky Maybe I'll try your suggestion