Newbie Advice

Pirate Fid
Pirate Fid Posts: 13
edited April 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all. After 16 years away (gave up at 16, now 32) I'm getting back to mountain biking! Bought myself a Specialized Hardrock disc version and back in the saddle. As I was always keen on the tools, can anyone recommend any tuning bits I could bolt on/change to get it looking/performing trick?

Cheers all :D

Comments

• With that bike the finishing part are pretty poor, I'd not really change anything just replace bits with upgrades as it wears out and save for a more complete bike if you really love riding again, other than putting expensive parts on a budget set up. But that's just My opinion.
  • Fair point that. Back in the day when I had a a Proflex dripping with XTR groupset and x-lite bolt ons, this is an entry level starter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Possibly not the best starter bike unless you got it cheap, practically everything on it is low level, including the frame, the only thing really worth doing is a pair of decent tyres and a replacement fork where I'd suggest trying to get a good used one rather than splash out on a new one which chances are won't fit your next bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I wouldn't even bother with the forks, just stash the cash towards a change if you love what your doing then spend as much as you can on the next machine with out spending more on what you have as most wont move across unless you buy a similar bike and chances are you will have more of an idea of what type of riding you are doing an then buy a totally different style of bike..
  • I quite liked my one; served me well for tootling round towpaths etc... Even did a 50 mile road ride around Buxton on it!

I'd suggest new pedals and better tyres (schwalbe smart sam were great for me).

Only bits that really narked me were the forks, saddle and the overall weight. Gears were spot on and brakes stopped me when I needed stopping.
  • JohnFor
    JohnFor Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    This is all new to me. Just wondering what you think of the 2016 Polygon Xtrada 3.0?

CheersCheers!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Link?

I guess you aren't in the UK, Polygon is Indonesian and predominantly marketed in that part of Asia, mostly good value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ....What do you call a parrot that has flown away?

...Polygon...
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: