recommend me a strava friendly computer

boondog
boondog Posts: 205
edited April 2016 in Commuting chat
I've seen the Edge 25 on sale, but am wondering whats a decent Strava friendly computer that'll automagically do everything for me ?
all I need is something where I press start/stop and then it'll do all the uploading and everything for me (as I frequently forget), and I'm happy for it to link to my phone.
any recommendations ?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The Edge 25 will (should) do exactly that.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    25 does that as stated. Ditto the 520. (And the ones above). 20 does not.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • boondog
    thanks for the replies, I'll google around for some 25 reviews and see how it works with Strava
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    It works with Strava because it syncs with Garmin Connect via bluetooth/phone, and Garmin Connect syncs with Strava. Straightforward as anything. Job done.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    dhope wrote:
    It works with Strava because it syncs with Garmin Connect via bluetooth/phone, and Garmin Connect syncs with Strava. Straightforward as anything. Job done.
    That's a fair reminder - my phone is so old it the Garmin Connect app doesn't work on it :(
    And I've just bought a 25. Should have bought a new phone instead!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • boondog
    all I've got to do now is find an Aldi with stock !
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Most of the computers require a decent smart phone to do syncing.

The only exception I know about is the Garmin 1000 which will sync directly via wifi afaik.

The Wahoo ELEMNT will do that too but also needs a smartphone for setup.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    That's a fair reminder - my phone is so old it the Garmin Connect app doesn't work on it :(
    That's still fine, assuming you've got Wifi at home then you can probably just point the Garmin to the home wifi and it'll auto upload direct to Garmin Connect. My Edge 1000 and Forerunner 920 can do this. No phone needed if so.

Edit: Ah, Mark said it before me. Maybe it doesn't work on the 25
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    dhope wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    That's still fine, assuming you've got Wifi at home then you can probably just point the Garmin to the home wifi and it'll auto upload direct to Garmin Connect. My Edge 1000 and Forerunner 920 can do this. No phone needed if so.

Edit: Ah, Mark said it before me. Maybe it doesn't work on the 25

I didn't really think about it - I just thought "as long as I can share my 3g network via BT, like I do with a tablet, it'll be fine" - Apparently not. Awh well.
    The only reason I wanted it was a smaller version of the 705 with live update, and without the suitable smartphone this doesn't work :(
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...