Transfers 2017 : Rumours and fact

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,558
edited February 2017 in Pro race
May as well get this one started, non?

Contador rumoured to want another year and trying to set up his own team

Ciro's making connections: Riis-Saxo having a new team in the works, Nibs' contract negotiations, and a Bahrain cycling team being set up...

Comments

• dish_dash wrote:
    May as well get this one started, non?

Contador rumoured to want another year and trying to set up his own team

Ciro's making connections: Riis-Saxo having a new team in the works, Nibs' contract negotiations, and a Bahrain cycling team being set up...

Well, if you take Sheikh n Bake Nassam (quite the delightful character, that one), Nibs and/or Bert, Riis and Lars Christensen, you're looking at a team that will want to go straight in as WT, non?
  • dish_dash
    Yip, I would assume that they go WT... though on the other hand you've got got Sky Dive Dubai...

And isn't 2017 the start of the new three year licenses?

I gotta feeling quite a few people signed one-year contracts this year which should make the market interesting...
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I know on the cycling podcast they thought it may be more focussed on hospitality - that statement would indicate otherwise.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:

So the conclusion was that they might get a WT team together in 2017. Their concept is to build a cycling team with a bunch of ancillary businesses that generate money - spin bikes, villa holidays... plenty of buzzwords, little concrete signs of a team.
  • dish_dash
    Staff transfer but Hannah Grant from Tinkoff to Qhubeka...
  • dish_dash
    DG's podium cafe article and CN's list of riders without contracts for next year got me thinking about my man Sep.

His contract at Jumbo-Lotto ends this year. The team isn't working for him as DG so accurately summarizes. So where's he off to? The other Lotto, EQS, Trek? Not many opportunities out there to give him the solid support team that he needs.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    dish_dash wrote:
    DG's podium cafe article and CN's list of riders without contracts for next year got me thinking about my man Sep.

His contract at Jumbo-Lotto ends this year. The team isn't working for him as DG so accurately summarizes. So where's he off to? The other Lotto, EQS, Trek? Not many opportunities out there to give him the solid support team that he needs.
    Etixx will be on the look out for a Belgian classics man to replace Boonen. Benoot would be the obvious target when available but Vanmarcke will be in their considerations. (Of course they may think that Lampaert and Van Keirsbulck are enough).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Sep to Etixx would make sense.

They would either give him the support to compete properly at the thick end of the classics or pay him enough to accept water carrier duties.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    Sep doesn't win enough for Quick Step. They have both Terpstra and Stybar for Sep's style of ride. They'd have picked him up post Garmin otherwise.

Patrick wants Degenkolb and will have some cash to burn once Boonen retires.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Sep doesn't win enough for Quick Step. They have both Terpstra and Stybar for Sep's style of ride. They'd have picked him up post Garmin otherwise.

This. Unless he wins big this year.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Sep doesn't win enough for Quick Step. They have both Terpstra and Stybar for Sep's style of ride.
    They're not Belgian though. I think that's still important to Etixx.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    dish_dash wrote:

I reckon Trek could be the answer. He's the type of not quite good enough rider I associate them with for some reason.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    If I was Dave Brailsford, I'd be after Vanmarcke.
  • rick_chasey
    Jumbo announced Sep will leave at the end of the season.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I reckon Trek could be the answer. He's the type of not quite good enough rider I associate them with for some reason.

Trek don't have any need for him, they've got a fantastic young classics squad on multi year contracts that they'll need to manage well over the next couple of years to ensure they give them all opportunities.

Lotto are in the same position as Trek albeit with a more thinly spread talent pool.

Wout van Aert is Lefevre's man for the future. He combines several things he loves in a rider. He's Belgian, he doesn't have to take a punt on developing him and he can pay a great rider like him washers for 2 years because he comes from cross.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • As to Sep. No idea, but he shot himself in the foot signing a long deal with Belkin/Blanco/Lotto etc etc with no sodding team mates.

Not sure Sky are going to be that fussed with Stannard and Rowe.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    Sep to Giant if Dege to EQS?
  • rick_chasey
    Question is is there enough room for Kittel AND Dege on one team anymore?
  • dish_dash
    And lets not forget the big move - where is Sagan next year?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is he in danger of being priced out of the market?
  • dish_dash
    At six million euros... yes. Not many teams going to able to afford that.
  • rick_chasey
    coriordan wrote:
    Is he in danger of being priced out of the market?

What, Sagan not riding cos his agent asked for €6m?

I'd imagine he'd still do it for €4m...
  • I don't see how he can be priced out of the market. He's not going to be unemployed next year. He may just have to take a big pay cut.

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    Of course he won't be without a ride, but by hawking that price tag might he be stopping potential teams from even bothering to make a bid...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's kinda what I mean. Teams appear to be looking a bit full and EUR6m is a lot to be spending.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Of course he won't be without a ride, but by hawking that price tag might he be stopping potential teams from even bothering to make a bid...

I'm sure his agent isn't as daft as all that.

Ever heard the story about Seth Johnson and his agent negotiating with Peter Risdale at Leeds United? Agent goes in looking for 5k a week, Risdale opens with "We won't go a penny over 17!" He walked out with 22.

I imagine that was how Sagan's Tinkoff negotiation went.

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    Ja, not many Tinkoff's in play for next season tho...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I think there was an air of inevitability about Sep leaving Jumbo to be honest.

They were a bit better yesterday but haven't been all that visible at times.

I think they are happier developing the Kelderman, Krusjwiik, Gesink GT capabilities,
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    That ex-Astana press bloke has been constantly tweeting that Sagan will be at Sky next year.

Not sure I believe him really...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver