Before SPD-SL/LOOK what were people using?

cmachine
cmachine Posts: 84
edited April 2016 in Road general
I've read a lot of info about SPD vs SPD-SL and LOOK etc but what I can't find is information on what road cyclists were using before SPD-SL and LOOK. Did road cyclists use SPD pedals (mtb) first) or did LOOK have sole monopoly of the road pedal? I know years ago riders used to use toe-clips. I've seen riders 60+ that would still use them. Personally I prefer a road/touring shoe with a recessed SPD cleat and a Shimano A600 pedal which gives a bit more platform. So basically what were people using before SPD-SL or LOOK.
2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc (rebuilt)
2011 BeOne Karma Hardtail (disassembled!)
2012 Giant Anthem X4

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Look delta has been around since the mid-late 80s and before that, riders just used clips and straps. spd didn't arrive on the mtb scene until around 1990ish..
  • cmachine
    thanks! Was there much of a move by roadies to SPD/MTB when it appeared on the scene or did they mostly stick to Look delta?
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I had the first delta look pedals. Look pretty much dominated the market. Time also had a pedal.

Hardly anyone rode spds on the road. We didn't have carbon shoes then so you'd feel the cleats more.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I rode toe clips first then moved to Time when they first came out as I liked the shoes and cross compatibility wasn't prevalent back then from memory, they also weighed a ton compared to pedals today, then again so did most bikes!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • cmachine
    I may well make the move to SPD-SL at some point but I've read the cleats wear quickly and like to be able to walk off the bike. SPD cleats appear to last a good bit longer. It seems the competitive race peloton drives what consumer roadies buy. If the top Tour riders started wearing MTB flats I'm sure by the next season everyone in the clubs would have them. Anyone ever try SPD-R? My mate still uses them but I had never heard of them until he showed me....they came out before SL became the norm
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    cmachine wrote:
    I may well make the move to SPD-SL at some point but I've read the cleats wear quickly and like to be able to walk off the bike. SPD cleats appear to last a good bit longer. It seems the competitive race peloton drives what consumer roadies buy. If the top Tour riders started wearing MTB flats I'm sure by the next season everyone in the clubs would have them. Anyone ever try SPD-R? My mate still uses them but I had never heard of them until he showed me....they came out before SL became the norm

I much prefer SPD MTB style, and I dont think ill ever go back SPD SL. However I thought the pros used SPD SL because they offer better tightness in sprinting and climbing.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • The SPD system that you know today is quite a recent invention. Road clipless pedals were the first clipless pedals made/popularised. There were various systems from Look, Cinelli, Campag, Time and others during the '80s. The Look Delta system is still very much in use, as mentioned above. Shimano's old systems do still have some fans (SPD-R for example is still popular with track riders), but the cleats don't use current standard drillings, and they aren't still making them.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Pedals and toeclips into the mid 80s then Time TBT clipless pedals bolted to a pair of Sidi shoes. The adaptor plates made for some funny walking at the cake stops...
    img_2573_1200x800_1__43287.1411478979.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

1983_tecno.jpg
  • Look came out in 85, Time in 88, then shimano licences looks cleat in 90ish I think. Other less popular brands came out around those times, check out the speedily website for a decent history of clipless pedals.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sean Kelly was the last pro rider to go clipless about 1990. The first Look pedals came out about 1985 and were adopted by the likes of Hinault. He went on to ride for the LaVieClaire team with Lemond owned by Bernard Tapis who also owned Look at the time. Shimano also licensed the Look Delta design for a while - the SPD mtb pedal was launched about 1988 and then the SPD-R after before bringing out the SPD-SL. Old shoes were a lot softer and clips and straps could be quite uncomfortable, particularly in winter as they restricted circulation to your feet - riding the 200km Eroica after 20 years of clipless was quite painful!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I happily use spd style shoes in winter. Great to be able to walk Around in them. Unless you're racing spd is the way to go.