Numb toes, shoes or something else?

Lorez
Lorez Posts: 23
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
I've been riding the last few months in a pair of dhb shoes and while I've thought my numb toe sensation I get after 15 miles was cold I'm now thinking it's something else. I've loosened the straps on shoes, worn over shoes, socks & tin foil. Moved cleat position but the same sensation comes to my left foot. Is this more than likely shoe fit? I normally wear barefoot shoes, go barefoot or low rise heeled shoes. Do I need to try wider fitting shoes or is it more a cleat position fit?

I've a sportive ride in the summer and I want to work up the distance but at the moment I find the sensation in my toes too distracting & wanting to stop carrying on (or do I just man the f@ck up?)

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What pedals are you on? Pressure under the foot causing the numbness maybe?
    Are the shoes spacious enough? If you wear thick socks have you tried thinner ones?

Failing that I would think about a new shoe with a stiffer sole to help spread the pressure.
  • Lorez
    Pedals are shimano spd-sl m540 ones, slightly thick sick but not overly. I'll try a thinner one this weekend.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    might be the footbeds, ones with a metatarsal ridge/button can prevent numbness

e-soles were the best but i think they've shut down, a good alternative is specialized bg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • wahla21
    wahla21 Posts: 96
    For me the issue was with the saddle.

Had numb feet on every ride. Managed to find the right saddle and the issue went away!

Just a thought.
  • Lorez
    wahla21 wrote:

Had numb feet on every ride. Managed to find the right saddle and the issue went away!

Just a thought.

In what way did the saddle affect your feet? Was it a case of fit and having pressure on nerves?
  • wahla21
    wahla21 Posts: 96
    Lorez wrote:
    wahla21 wrote:

Just a thought.

In what way did the saddle affect your feet? Was it a case of fit and having pressure on nerves?

Yeah I think so. I tried new shoes and pedal float first, then tried lower/higher the saddle. Then tried about 10 different saddle until I found the right one. What worked for me though might not work for others, but it's worth considering.
  • Lorez
    Maybe a bike fit might help then
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I can suffer from a similar 'cold' toes after a long ride - put it down to circulation as it happens on different pedals and shoes.

I've just had a bike fit and have been recommend to use inserts for high insteps - which had me effectively riding on my toes and metatarsals.

They used a Specialized foot board but you can probably do the same with a cold tile floor and warm feet. Stand on the tiles and step off to leave a condensation prin. If there's a large gap between your heel print and balls of your feet, then you may need inserts. Mine was somewhere between the last two on this image:

Arch+Type.jpg

I have to say, the redistribution of pressure and the way it stabilises the ankles is a revelation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Try loosening the straps (may feel oddly loose at initially) before you fiddle with much else first.
  • Lorez
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I've been playing with a few things and it is getting better. Main difference was cleat position and also focusing on my pedalling stroke and not applying downward pressure all the way round. Not fully sorted but a lot better thanks :)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Wrong shoe size? Fastened too tight? Socks too thick to fit inside shoe?
    I've too different brands of cycling shoes and one pair is noticeably narrower and a tighter fit than the other.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Lorez
    ben@31 wrote:
    Wrong shoe size? Fastened too tight? Socks too thick to fit inside shoe?
    I've too different brands of cycling shoes and one pair is noticeably narrower and a tighter fit than the other.

Narrow fit was my first thought. My experiments of some of the suggestions here and visiting a cycle shop in Bristol asking questions about the issue & bike fit are showing some improvements. Will see how much they all help before splashing more cash
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Lorez wrote:
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I've been playing with a few things and it is getting better. Main difference was cleat position and also focusing on my pedalling stroke and not applying downward pressure all the way round. Not fully sorted but a lot better thanks :)

I was also going to suggest something along these lines. I have had my cleats quite far forward and tended to pedal with my toes pointing down which squashed up the toes as the foot slid forward.

Moving the cleat back a little has relieved the squashed toes and improved my pedalling efficiency.
  • Taeo1
    Taeo1 Posts: 17
    Might be worth looking at Specialized insoles...I got some and they were a revelation!!