Dawes Galaxy worth £289

chris2392
chris2392 Posts: 30
edited April 2016 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi there,

This is going to be really long winded but here goes..

Outside my LBS there is a purple dawes galaxy much like the one in the link below but with drop handlebars and they stick it outside everyday and when I drive past I always check if it is still there.

https://biggs682.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/dawes-galaxy-007.jpg

The other day I decided my fascination had gone to far and I would go and inspect it. the frame is fine but I think the components have seen better days.

Now the point of my long winded story is they're asking for £289 for it, I didn't bother to ask if they would accept less as I can't justify another bike at the moment but I still can't stop looking at it so I thought I'd better try and find out if the price is right and find the money from somewhere and explain to the girlfriend why there is yet another bike in the garage.

I have no idea how much it would be worth as although my first road bike is a steel frame I got it dirt cheap as it was a low end cheap steel bike that I stripped down and added new components too (I promise if I buy this bike I would keep it as original as possible, I have learned to love steel frames and their original components since) but since then I have only had aluminium or carbon bikes so have no real experience with steel frames.

Would you part with almost £300 for it or would you try and bring the price down?

Sorry for the length of this post, if you have fallen asleep I apologise

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    chris2392 wrote:
    Hi there,

This is going to be really long winded but here goes..

Outside my LBS there is a purple dawes galaxy much like the one in the link below but with drop handlebars and they stick it outside everyday and when I drive past I always check if it is still there.

https://biggs682.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/dawes-galaxy-007.jpg

The other day I decided my fascination had gone to far and I would go and inspect it. the frame is fine but I think the components have seen better days.

Now the point of my long winded story is they're asking for £289 for it, I didn't bother to ask if they would accept less as I can't justify another bike at the moment but I still can't stop looking at it so I thought I'd better try and find out if the price is right and find the money from somewhere and explain to the girlfriend why there is yet another bike in the garage.

I have no idea how much it would be worth as although my first road bike is a steel frame I got it dirt cheap as it was a low end cheap steel bike that I stripped down and added new components too (I promise if I buy this bike I would keep it as original as possible, I have learned to love steel frames and their original components since) but since then I have only had aluminium or carbon bikes so have no real experience with steel frames.

Would you part with almost £300 for it or would you try and bring the price down?

Sorry for the length of this post, if you have fallen asleep I apologise

Thanks

Chris

Zzzz....I've no idea what it's worth - is there one on Fleabay that you could do a comparison with? They also might be willing to take a lower offer, especially as you say it's been there a while. Or they won't. Either way, you've lost nothing.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any pictures of it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Anecdote: I asked Mrs T how much was in one of our current accounts, she gave me a very precise answer, when I looked at the cashpoint receipt she was about 400 euros out (not in a good way) when I pointed this out she said her estimate was close enough, she was after all only 400 euros out, not enough to worry about, so on this basis I think you should by this bike and not give it another thought as the price is only a minor discrepancy in accounting terms :D

But I think £289 means £250!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    I'd look on Gumtree for a decent roadbike. Loads of people are selling bikes they bought on cycle to work schemes and didn't bother using. You should get something for just under half the new price.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    On looking at the photo I'd say it is a pretty scruffy example with non original bars. I'd avoid at that price.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bars aside it looks pretty original to me; it dates from about 1990 and I wouldn't say it is all that scruffy given the age; it would certainly clean up nicely. What I would want to get a feel for is how many miles it has under it. If nothing needs replacing then even at the advertised price you end up with a lot of bike for the money (replacement original bars, DT shifters and brake levers should cost at the very most £50 from ebay) - but if stuff does need replacing, you can easily end up spending another couple of hundred.
    So, if you want a steel framed touring bike and it isn't a big mileage example, it is one that you have seen, there's no travelling to pick it up or costs and concerns about posting it back if you bought off Ebay and it wasn't as described then I reckon you could do a lot worse. I'd offer £50 less than the asked for price to cover the cost of getting it back to being a proper bike!
    Faster than a tent.......