New bike a bit small - New stem, seatpost, saddle and full guards now fitted (Pics)

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,583
edited April 2016 in Commuting chat
Evening all, picked up the Fuji 1.1 earlier for my gf, and it's a little bit smaller than frame stats might have indicated.

Also, despite her only being 5ft 7 with a 29" inside leg, the seatpost is not long enough at only 300mm!

I don't know whether to bother e-mailing Evans, or just buying a 400mm seatpost, and a 120mm to replace the stock 80mm one - which is 10-20mm shorter than I was expecting I must be honest.

Would you just suck it up and buy replacements?

This review also mentioned that the stock seatpost was too short, and that was on a 58.
http://road.cc/content/review/147424-fuji-sportif-11-ltd-road-bike

I've e-mailed them to ask the question anyway, I haven't mentioned the stem, as I kind of think that is a genuine fit issue and I have already ordered a Deda 120mm on from CRC for £15, but the seatpost combined with the short seat tube seems a bit of an oversight to me (especially as she doesn't have a long inseam, even for her height) - opinions?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Send it back a bad fit is never going to be enjoyable
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b

But I don't believe it will automatically be a bad fit, the seatpost is only about 1cm beyondd the 100mm safety limit, the only reason I want a 400 in there is so I can ride it too if need be - ie when we take turns towing the child trailer to and from the cafe stop.

I've just stumbled on an old 120mm FSA stem upstairs, so can try that without trying the new part from CRC and see how it feels for her.

It's a very nice looking machine, not super light, but feels like it is up to the job.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380

This would be my advice, best to start with the right sized bike and then adjust to fit.
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    You'll have some rights in returning it, I wouldn't hang around and would let them know your dissatisfaction.

You really need to find a local Evans and pay them a visit to try different sizes and ride them. When I accompanied my missus to buy a bike I insisted she tried every viable option... she rode numerous bikes before making her decision and it was a size bigger than we expected, admittedly this was at a LBS and not Evans.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I suspect if you check the fuji site you'll see the stem length is published in the geometry sheet, so you probably won't have much luck getting them to swap that as it isn't really their mistake, however the seat post length isn't published in their geometry so you might have some luck there, although I think it's most likely that Evans will want you to exchange the whole bike for one size up, rather than swapping stems and seatposts.

Personally, given seatposts and stems can be had very cheaply, I'd just buy a new set myself and bung the too short ones in the spares bin.

It all comes down to if it is the geometry of the bike frame that is making it small, or the finishing kit - if the frame size is wrong swap it now while you still can, as it's very expensive to do it down the line.
  • 300 is quite short, in my opinion, especially for an OEM part. I'd sooner just buy one, though, as I couldn't be bothered with the faff of returning bits, bike being out of commission etc.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for all the replies.

There is no alternative of getting the next size up, as it's end of line, and no longer in stock.

The bike has a stupendously high stack, so I think with oodles of seatpost showing, it will be perfectly ridable, and I can't see why it could not still be a good fit.

The seatpost also has a very minor amount of setback, where as I can easily lay my hands on a 25mm setback one for not very much.

Good call re the stem length on the Fuji website, had found that page to check out geometry, but stupidly hadn't even considered the stem length, not that there is anything they would have done anyway.

Comparing her 52cm Scott (1st set of numbers in the list below) with the 52cm Fuji (2nd) - I have this in terms of hard stats:
    Seat tupe Centre to top - 520\485
    Reach - 376\375
    Top tube effective - 530\530
    Stack - 545\571
    Stem length 90 (Stock bike has a 110)\80
    Seat tube angle - 74.5\75
    Head tube angle - 73\71.5

Out of those (I appreciate there are some key measurements not included) the glaring differences are the seat tube length - 35mm difference, the stack height being 26mm higher as well, and the head tube angle.

In light of these stats, I still think this bike should fit, for the price I paid (£819 with 105 5800 and hydraulic discs), I'm more than prepared to buy a new stem (already ordered a 120, although think that might be overkill now, but I do have a 100 and a 120 to try) and a 25mm setback 400mm seatpost for circa £25 - Ritchey make one.

No issue with a bike being out of commission, as we still have the Tri Cross, and will do for another 2 months before it goes in a shipping container.

If I understand correctly (have I?), the 71.5 head tube angle, will bring the bars closer to the rider, versus a 73 - that combined with a super high stack, and super short stem, I am thinking merely serves to compound the issue.
    Additionally the seat tube is 0.5 less, which will also put the saddle that little bit closer to the front - again if I am understanding the angles properly.

Just to clarify, I am not suggesting for a minute that this is Evan's mistake or fault - they are reselling a bike that is specced as such, but I felt it was worth an ask as the seatpost is so comparitively short, when paired with a very short seat tube, backed up by the review where he had exactly the same issue, and had to source a separate seatpost.

I have also just ordered a 25mm setback Ritchey post from Wiggle in case Evans/Fuji are not willing to help - not expecting anything from them, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

I'll update in due course.

Also just occurred to me that it might be a bit of a challenge to get full guards on this bike! :evil:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    This is the seatpost:
    ritchey-comp-25mm-post.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Going to have a tinker with the 100mm and 120mm stems I have, and see how it feels to her with those, and I think my preference would be to fit the 25mm setback post (reckon it is 10mm at most at the mo) combined with a 100mm up front - thus increasing the distance by 45mm.
    Might just simulate the setback seatpost by sliding the saddle back on the rails for the time being.

EDIT: Evans have just replied to say they can't help, but are willing to offer a 10% discount on a seatpost - but as they do not have any with setback and the right diameter I will stick with the one from Wiggle.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    OK, so a raid through my parts cupboard tonight revealed that the two fsa 100 & 120 stems I have are a smaller height, and as I have no spare spacers I couldn't fit them.

Luckily, I did have the spare 100mm chrome stem off my Langster - so have fitted that, and the Fizik Arione Donna off her Tri Cross, whacked that back on the rails, and the seatpost to maximum height, and we are looking a LOT better already.

The simple and not foolproof elbow to bars test now weighs in at pretty much the same as on her other two bikes, so if this is ok, it will just be a 100mm stem (Although if she likes the chrome one, which I think looks pretty cool surprisingly, it can stay) and a setback 350 or 400mm seatpost - the pic hopefully shows just how dramatic the drop on the cross bar is.

Quite tempted to plump for a chrome seatpost as well at this rate! Ribble have one for the princely sum of £10.99.

23839048584_344c0c81cf_h.jpg

No pedals fitted yet, but will do so tomorrow.
    Hoping to get her to try it for size tomorrow after we get my daughter to sleep.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jefflad
    That looks great... and certainly the seat doesn't look out of place. a beautiful looking bike BTW :)
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Jeff :-)

I'm actually a little bit jealous of her bike now, it's a lovely machine, even if it is a matte black finish, which is not my favourite I must say.

You can see in the pic the saddle is far too back for the seatpost, but a 25mm layback will sort that - which thinking about it might veto the silver seatpost, as they are probably only 10-15mm at most.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jefflad
    You can see in the pic the saddle is far too back for the seatpost, but a 25mm layback will sort that - which thinking about it might veto the silver seatpost, as they are probably only 10-15mm at most.

I hadn't actually noticed it but now you've pointed it out... :)
  • daniel_b
    Just wanted to update this thread, as my gf has now ridden the bike, and likes it a lot, I just had to slide the saddle back a bit as well.
    The saddle is also a big hit, so the white one will be gracing her Scott shortly.

As she said she wanted a purple theme, I have added purple valve caps, and a purple stem and seatpost from superstar - both of those items were needed anyway, with both the originals being to short, and at £22 for the pair, a pretty spectacular bargain.

Thankyou to whoever at some point recommended Tortec guards on here, I fitted them this week, and they do feel a bit more solid than the SKS ones I am used to fitting.
    I thought I was going to have to do some weird origami with the metal supports, but only had to put a very mild bend in one of the front ones to make it clear the brakes - delighted!

This is her winter\child trailer towing bike.

26277091695_54054e0629_z.jpgIMG_20160406_150859 by Daniel 2009, on Flickr

26210830421_abbef78d6b_z.jpgIMG_20160406_150916 by Daniel 2009, on Flickr

26251140386_cfef97acb3_z.jpg

26251151916_cf1483ffd5_z.jpgIMG_20160406_150751 by Daniel 2009, on Flickr
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Daniel B wrote:
    She said she wanted a purple theme, I have added purple valve caps, and a purple stem and seatpost from superstar.

This is her winter\child trailer towing bike.

Ah yes, the lovely children

723-6498_PI_66664MN?wid=493&ht=538
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_b
    Now there's a good idea!

And I do have some supacaz black and purple tape to put on at some point - but probably after this one wears out.

0062736_supacaz_super_sticky_kush_bar_tape.jpeg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b