Roads

pblakeney
pblakeney Posts: 25,597
edited April 2016 in The cake stop
So, it would take 12 billion to repair the roads. That is a lot of money!
It will cost 57 billion overall for HS2. Priorities?
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
Veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PBlakeney wrote:

To be fair, I suspect it would cost 12 billion to botch repair the roads like we always do here. To actually do the job properly so they last would cost a lot more. But yes, given that they had to move the planned site for Leeds HS2 station a quarter mile closer to the city centre because they realised that otherwise it would be quicker to just go to the main station and take an East Coast train than walk to the HS2 station and use that, you have to wonder what the point of it all is.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I wouldn't spend the money on HS2 either. It would shave a maximum of 35 mins off Brum to London. Lot of money for limited return IMHO.
  • pblakeney
    Rolf F wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

To be fair, I suspect it would cost 12 billion to botch repair the roads like we always do here. To actually do the job properly so they last would cost a lot more. But yes, given that they had to move the planned site for Leeds HS2 station a quarter mile closer to the city centre because they realised that otherwise it would be quicker to just go to the main station and take an East Coast train than walk to the HS2 station and use that, you have to wonder what the point of it all is.
    A rushed post following a discussion at work.
    I too presume the road repairs would cost a lot more to be done correctly but haven't the time to research.
    It won't be done in any case.
    The point of HS2? Who is supplying the infrastructure materials and parts?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    There seems to be no long term strategy for road maintenance in the UK as a whole. I shudder to thing what they will be like in twenty years. We'll all be riding to work on fat bikes.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I wouldn't spend the money on HS2 either. It would shave a maximum of 35 mins off Brum to London. Lot of money for limited return IMHO.
    And it would save more time from Manchester/Leeds. Remember the plan is to go further north than Birmingham so you have to factor in those locations.
  • ballysmate
    wongataa wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    And it would save more time from Manchester/Leeds. Remember the plan is to go further north than Birmingham so you have to factor in those locations.

Mancs could get to London a hour quicker at most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Spee ... rney_times

Not worth the money.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The point of HS2 is not the speed of the journey but shifting journeys off the "normal" lines - which are at capacity now - freeing them up for more useful, smaller journeys. Same with CrossRail and the tube.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    HS2 would shift a lot of freight off the roads too.
  • ballysmate
    Hs2 would appear to condemn swathes of the country into becoming backwaters with a reduced number of trains and longer journry times.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... xpert.html
  • pblakeney
    What bugs me is all this "Blue Sky Thinking" when we haven't even got the most basic of infrastructure working properly.
    Veronese68 wrote: