Fixed TT bike

simon_masterson
simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
edited September 2017 in Your road bikes
Just put this together, started off as a bit of fun on a very small budget but my best bike has a crack in the seat tube, so will be out of action for a bit. Cheap bare aluminium frame from eBay, wheelset from the PX sale. Just bought a PX 60mm front wheel and I'll be getting some RALTech covers for that back wheel. And some paint for the frame.

6CA838BD-BC3C-46EF-9597-B423FF4ACC3D.jpg

Comments

• Looking good. There's a lot to be said for a simple fixed TT bike.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You've not knackered your Boardman bike have you?!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    NapoleonD wrote:

That's what I thought! Hope not, I'm looking forward to seeing that finished (it still isn't finished, is it?).
  • Cheers! I'm really loving this thing. This is what it looks like now, with the cheap PX wheels on. I've changed the aero bars and gone for a shorter stem (and flipped it). I need to save for a disc wheel next - and some paint.

54ABC5C1-1FA0-4F86-99E4-DA8AC08A8283.jpg

EFFA9404-C876-4E6D-9A28-5010FE71DCF6.jpg
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Looks good, Simon! Which eBay listing was it? I''m thinking of getting a cheap alu frame for a TT build myself, although not a single/fixed. . .
  • NapoleonD wrote:

I hate to say it, but yes, I have :(. I went to prep it for the Boxing Day 10, and found a crack in the seat tube. Only a few days earlier, I got knocked off another bike by an errant motorist; it's just one thing after another with me. I need to get in touch with Terry Dolan to see about fixing her up.
  • Looks good, Simon! Which eBay listing was it? I''m thinking of getting a cheap alu frame for a TT build myself, although not a single/fixed. . .

The seller is called "Fixed Gear London" - it's supposedly a Guerciotti Shadow track frame, which PX used to do (in a lurid lime green) a couple of years back. Not much good to you if you don't want to ride fixed, but I've seen some decent stuff on eBay in alu for gears.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    NapoleonD wrote:

I hate to say it, but yes, I have :(. I went to prep it for the Boxing Day 10, and found a crack in the seat tube. Only a few days earlier, I got knocked off another bike by an errant motorist; it's just one thing after another with me. I need to get in touch with Terry Dolan to see about fixing her up.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:(

Fingers crossed.

New one looks good!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:(

Fingers crossed.

New one looks good!

I know, right? :(

I'm trying to see it as an opportunity to give it a new paint job, and a new BB shell too, as it was a bit cross-threaded. It'll be amazing when done. 8)
  • Buy a front wheel before disc covers. Worth more. Stick a 20c on your current front wheel with latex tubes, will be faster.
  • umop3pisdn wrote:
    Buy a front wheel before disc covers. Worth more. Stick a 20c on your current front wheel with latex tubes, will be faster.

Cheers, I've actually got a PX 60mm clincher I bought - definitely not the best, but will it do? I like the look of the Flo 90, though...
  • It's probably alright. One of the newer wide rimmed ones with a carbon fairing?

Hed 3 is a very fast wheel, can normally pick one up for <£250 if you hunt around.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Re Paint, bike radar did a recent feature on Spray.bike, cheap and easy (apparently).

http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/spraybike-2
  • umop3pisdn wrote:
    It's probably alright. One of the newer wide rimmed ones with a carbon fairing?

Hed 3 is a very fast wheel, can normally pick one up for <£250 if you hunt around.

Carbon fairing yes, it's quite narrow though - just under 20mm IIRC. I would like something faster, though...
  • iPete wrote:
    Re Paint, bike radar did a recent feature on Spray.bike, cheap and easy (apparently).

http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/spraybike-2

Hmm, interesting, thanks. Worth considering, though I'm a disaster area where most DIY is concerned, and I don't want to make a mess of it!
  • Mostly racing on gears for the moment, but posted 21:26 on this early season. Probably going to convert into a hillclimb bike.

oiau60.jpg
    (Photo courtesy Davey Jones)

Here's the geared machine...

2w7fos8.jpg
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I like Jimmy!
  • I do too! It's a very nice frame. Some day I hope to get Argos racing cycles to build me a custom frame, but this will more than do for now.
  • Jimmy <3
  • Nice!
    left the forum March 2023