Showering

andyh6882
andyh6882 Posts: 4
edited April 2016 in Commuting general
I am thinking about taking up cycling to work. However, I am worried about my water consumption. Is it common that you must shower before and after work? Is there any way i can get around this?

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I don't shower when I get to work, nor when I get home. I'm not one of those types who feels the need to shower every day.

There shouldn't really be a problem with not showering, although clean clothes each day will help. The cooling sweat is mostly water and salts, not the fatty sweat that's responsible for body odour. The main problem with sweat is just that it leaves a salty residue on your face etc. A flannel's ample. It's more a case of whether you mind it or not.

You can always ride more slowly so you don't get a sweat on.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't shower before riding to work - what's the point? I'm going to get hot and sweaty ... I do have a cold water wash, but that's just a quick splash.
    I can't shower when I get to work because we don't have a shower - again, cold water wash - although wetwipes or similar would be just as good.

I do shower when I get home - but I suppose I don't have to - again, just cool down then wash the sweaty bits - especially where you sit - as that's the bit which will become sore ....
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I am lucky enough to have a shower at work - and not sure I would want to ride without it. I ride in/out 25km each way and run pretty sweaty - I find that any missed showers can lead to really nasty undercarriage problems.

For the last few months I have been cycling to visit my old mum in hospital on the way home - and even the hour or two sitting around in sweaty slowing cooling gear has lead to an uptick in saddle sores and general grottiness where you would not want it. To the extent that I have been carrying a lightweight change of clothes to spend the visiting time wearing - this sorted out the problem very quickly so I am pretty sure it was the couple of hours or so sitting in sweaty gear that was the root cause .

You see adverts for dry shower stuff - but I have no idea if it is any good
  • I shower when I get up, then ride to work, about an hour's trip, strip off in the disable dloo and liberally throw water all over myself. It aint perfect, but there are no disabled people where I work, so no one needs to use the disabled loo which ends up with water all over the floor. I keep a small towel at work along with deoderant. No problem.
    My boss just laughed when I suggested a shower be fitted. To be fair to him, it's not something he could authorise.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    No shower here(well there is one but it's cold water only) so I just buy a big pack of wipes and use them(mainly for the nether regions) and keep a towel as well;as others have said good wicking base layers help too especially Merino.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    You can have a shower without using all that much water. Quick spray over the bits you need to wash, turn shower off while you lather up, then back on to quickly rinse the suds off.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I only shower a couple of times a week, I always wear a baselayer, don't push it on the way in, and don't wear far too much like you see some doing, and that seems to sort me out.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I always shower when I get to work after a commute. If the showers aren't available I have a good wash in the disabled toilet.

Contrary to what people believe, people can smell you if you don't and no, it isn't pleasant.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Lucky enough to have a shower at work, and I take advantage of it.
    However, I make the shower at work the longer one, and the one at home in the evenings a short one-my wife &kids will put up with it more than my colleagues!
    I worry about my water use as well; the extra cycling clothing to wash as well means an extra washing machine load each week.
    Think of it in terms of the water used in production of fuel, it's about 1l water to 1l fuel I seem to recall, and your saving that.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • ianrauk
    ianrauk Posts: 11
    Babywipes are your friend if you don't have a shower at work.
  • The benefits of riding to work in terms of carbon footprint will surely outweigh the extra use of water. That’s how I justify it to myself. You only really need to take care of your pits and undercarriage.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I worry about my water use as well; the extra cycling clothing to wash as well means an extra washing machine load each week.
    I did a quick calculation based on some dubious data on the internet and for a 20 mile each way commute:

Driving: 20 kg C02 per day
    Cycling: 3.42 kg CO2 per day

Both include for manufacture, maintenance and fuel for the car and the bike.
    Cycling includes 1 extra 10 minute shower a day and 1 extra wash every other day.

The difference increases with distance so short commutes are not as good, but provided you walk/cycle for anything over 1 mile each way you're fine*

*I wouldn't expect someone cycling 1 mile each way to need an extra shower or do extra washing. I also used to work with people who lived less than a mile from work and drove...
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    fatsmoker wrote:
    I shower when I get up, then ride to work, about an hour's trip, strip off in the disable dloo and liberally throw water all over myself. It aint perfect, but there are no disabled people where I work, so no one needs to use the disabled loo which ends up with water all over the floor. I keep a small towel at work along with deoderant. No problem.
    My boss just laughed when I suggested a shower be fitted. To be fair to him, it's not something he could authorise.

Do you shower after you have ridden home? Or just go to bed all stanky?

I had a housemate that did that once. Used to continually close his bedroom door to try and contain the awful funk.
  • I'm shocked that some people on here dont have either a proper shower or a bath each day. I honestly just thought it was very elderly people and some people with disabilities (which makes showering and bathing difficult) that dont shower every day.
    If you dont have a shower/bath everyday you will smell and its not nice for colleagues and your family having to put up with it. People at work will talk about you smelling etc.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    User has 1 post.

Is anyone else thinking, "troll"?

Andy
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    When I Cycled to work last summer I showered when I woke up (always have, always will).

cycled to work.

At work I had Muc Off dry shower, deodorant, towel, and a flannel.

5 minute quick wash in the loo and I was good to go.

dressed then sat at my desk with a cuppa within 10 minutes of arriving.