New to cycling / the forums. Looking for wheel / tyre advice

mason5697
mason5697 Posts: 63
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
Hi. Pretty new to road biking (january) really enjoying it. Riding a hybrid the now with 28c tyres. (Boardman Team). Really enjoying the cycling. Wish I had bought a road bike now due to doing regular 30-40 mile cycles.

So I bought a set of Gatorskins. 700 x 25c. But looking at a chart online, it says my 622 x 19c wheels will only accommodate 700 x 28c +.

I have done a bit of searching. And some people say that these charts are very conservative. So would I get away with the 25c Gatorskins on these wheels? Anyone any experience with this?

Thanks.

Comments

• mason5697
    Thought i would try the thinner tyres to see if it was a bit easier, maybe a little faster. Averaging 16-17 mph most of the time. Hoping to get the average speed up a little.

Through time I am hoping to upgrade to a decent road bike for more speed and higher mileage. But small changes like the tyres are all I can do just now.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As long as the rim isn't wider than the width of the mounted and inflated tyre, you should have no worries. The risk with skinny tyres and wide rims is catching the rim on a kerb edge or stone which can cause you to crash.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mason5697
    oxoman wrote:
    Just changing tyres won't make you any faster but will make it a slightly harsher ride. A decent road bike will however make you faster, the average speed you give on your hybrid isn't to be sniffed at.

Could be that bit faster with a road bike tho. The hybrid seems a lot more like a road bike with flat bars (weighs 10kg, 28c tyres) compared to the hybrids my friends have, which seem to be half way in between a mtb and road. I've got the bug. And dying for a road bike. My only gripe with the hybrid rid so far is its a harsh ride in the wind, and can greatly hamper the speed.