Focus or Cube help?

Sns73
Sns73 Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm new here and was just after a bit of feed back on a few bikes if anyone has ridden them.

I started cycling last April on a Felt F75 2014, which I am happy with but want a better spec bike, frame etc. I am looking at the cube litening c68 pro 2015 £1750, focus cayo ultegra 2016 £1799 or focus cayo 2.0 Di2 2015 £1890.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 442
    I have a 2014 Focus Cayo with Ultegra/ rim brakes which I bought in 2014 and absolutely love.

I was drawn to the Cayo because a friend had one and was really enjoying riding his and because of the great value for money Focus offer. I like the German engineering, having a UCI frame and a bike that is relatively rare out on the roads.

I have just got back out on the Cayo after a winter riding a CAAD 8 and I have to say the Cayo is a revelation. So responsive to pick up speed, so quick through corners and comfortable yet racy at the same time.

Because I love the bike so much I decided to upgrade the wheels last year to Mavic Kysrium Elites which has been very worthwhile.
    This review is currently out - a lower spec but gives you an idea of how good a bike the Cayo is

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -16-50236/

I would definitely buy again if ever needed.

Any qu's just shout
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Got a 2015 Cayo 1.0 here. I really enjoy riding it and think the best way to describe it is "a great all rounder". By this I mean it doesn't excel in one particular area but is still very good in all of them. It is fairly stiff, light, fairly comfortable and is great value for money.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sns73 wrote:
    Hi, I'm new here and was just after a bit of feed back on a few bikes if anyone has ridden them.

I started cycling last April on a Felt F75 2014, which I am happy with but want a better spec bike, frame etc. I am looking at the cube litening c68 pro 2015 £1750, focus cayo ultegra 2016 £1799 or focus cayo 2.0 Di2 2015 £1890.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

If you're happy with it why not spend the money on a better groupset and wheels? The frames on the F series are very good and well made, by upgrading the components the bike would feel much improved (not that it isn't a good bike as it is).

This said, if you do just fancy a change then I can recommend the cayo. This was my first carbon bike and I adored it.

I would suggest getting to a shop and test ride both focus and cube. You will soon know which one is right for you.

Best of luck
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    The Focus will have better resale value, so worth bearing in mind when making a decision
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Litening is much more aggressive than a Cayo isn't it?

I absolutely love my Focus Izalco Pro.
    I like Cubes but would get a Focus personally.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    The external cable routing puts me off the focus'. I prefer the clean look of the internal routing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Rigga wrote:
    The external cable routing puts me off the focus'. I prefer the clean look of the internal routing.

Which the Focus has (or at least mine does).
  • Rigga
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

On the top tube? I was referring to such as this...

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/focus-izalco ... oCuJ3w_wcB
  • Rigga
    Rigga wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

On the top tube? I was referring to such as this...

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/focus-izalco ... oCuJ3w_wcB

Edit : it seems the Cayo is internally routed but the izalco isn't.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

Cayo's are internal, it's the Izalco Max's that have external routing.

As for the Cayo not being aggressive, it's actually more aggressive than you think. The stack to reach ratio is about 1.40 which is much more aggressive than "endurance" type bikes which are often over 1.50.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    It's a common misconception that the Cayo is aimed towards the sportive/endurance sector, but it's geometry is race orientated and pretty much identical to the Izalco's. I have a older model 2013 Cayo Evo and I absolutely love it's combination of compliance and stiffness. Focus make some great bikes.