How to stop shorts/saddle squeak !

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited April 2016 in Road general
I don't whether its the saddle - Selle Italia Max SLR Flow - or what, but i'm getting an irritating creaking/squeaking from what I think is my shorts rubbing with the saddle a fraction.

It could well be the seatpost or the saddle that's making the noise, but difficult to tell.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Are you wearing PVC shorts?
    They might squeak.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    There is a GCN video below that might help
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5Jr-vXGSs
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Isolate the issue by eliminating the shorts, ride in something else, jeans even.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • I had this the other day, half a turn on the saddle to tube clamp sorted it out.
  • shinsplint
    shinsplint Posts: 565
    Cheers guys, will try tightening the seat clamp as suggested, then if no joy, i'll clean the seatpost etc as per video :)
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Had my saddle area squeaking on the downstroke, sprayed the saddle clamp with GT85 a couple of times and the noise disappeared.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just squirt some plain water over the seat-post, underside of saddle, on the rails, and on the rail clamps. If this stops it, lube all of the above. I doubt, nay I know, it's NOT your shorts squeaking.
  • jte77
    jte77 Posts: 2
    I've got two Specialized Romin Evo Pros. I've had an annoying creak/tick from both of them before. I found that a very short squirt of WD40 into where the rails enter the saddle mould did the trick. It's not a permanent fix, but it worked for me.

Incidentally, I think creaking from chainring bolts should be moved up the priority list of things to check when an annoying creak/tick is heard and bottom bracket/cranks/pedals have been ruled out.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    jte77 wrote:
    Incidentally, I think creaking from chainring bolts should be moved up the priority list of things to check when an annoying creak/tick is heard and bottom bracket/cranks/pedals have been ruled out.
    A torque up of every screw once a month takes 5 minutes. 5 minutes well spent.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.