ESX and P1 Madone 9.9

stongle
stongle Posts: 61
edited April 2016 in Your road bikes
Updated the stable a bit, Boardmann 9.2 out, 9.9 in. Quarq Elsa and black Enve stem added.

ESX:

12891133_10154070144334747_5464346330843846109_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

12909532_10154070180464747_1479996490379655469_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Both on Enve 6.7s currently, Madone will go onto 7.8s with Enve hubs when available. Madone is H1 fit, only change from standard is the Quarq, praxis rings and Specialized power saddle.

Rides very different to the ESX, corners better, although that could be that the bars (very sure it is the bars as the ESX runs SES aero bars that are very narrow on the hoods). Rides nice, although is a pig to travel with - i.e. You can't!

Was lucky enough to get a power meter on both due to a pricing error on the Madone in my favour. Happy days!

The old Madone is going to a friend to make room for an incoming Mason Revolution.
Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Any reason for two similar 'aero' bikes?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • stongle
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Any reason for two similar 'aero' bikes?

I like them. No practical reason at all, although the ESX is easyier to box and travel with.

Was toying with a z-zero, but wI'll be going for a Steel Mason to add variety.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Criteria for picking a bike? Ease of travel! Interesting. As Nap has said , very similar bits of kit. Admittedly I d love to own either, don't know your circumstances or requirements, but how is the Parlee easier to travel with than the Trek.
    Unless SS couplings were involved , I cant see how any bike is easier to travel with than another?

That aside, two great bikes and fantastic builds. And the simple answer" I like them", is enough for me. Enjoy the Ride, wherever it may be.
  • Love the madone.

Next year maybe....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    No criticism, was just intrigued. I assume the trek has a mostly ISP hence more difficult to box up.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    tim wand wrote:
    Criteria for picking a bike? Ease of travel! Interesting. As Nap has said , very similar bits of kit. Admittedly I d love to own either, don't know your circumstances or requirements, but how is the Parlee easier to travel with than the Trek.
    Unless SS couplings were involved , I cant see how any bike is easier to travel with than another?

That aside, two great bikes and fantastic builds. And the simple answer" I like them", is enough for me. Enjoy the Ride, wherever it may be.

Removable seatpost I guess. Agree with the sentiment though.
  • stongle
    NapoleonD wrote:
    No criticism, was just intrigued. I assume the trek has a mostly ISP hence more difficult to box up.

No criticism taken, it is a bit odd, but I choose to share the family baby chariot with the wife than run my own car so it's my little luxury.

The Madone has 2 piece spacers and very short cabling which is all internal. Taking the bars off and on is a pain is all.

In my subjective opinion, the ESX is a comfortable long(ish) distance cruiser, the Madone is more aggressive with the H1 geo (for a 40 odd year old anyway). I take the ESX on family hols or if I can with work.

The thing with bikes is they are a system, rider included. I trained myself to ride efficient, and I'm lucky u can be low and narrow. With majority of rides in the U.K. Being 60-70 miles and short of mountains, they hit the sweet spot for me.

that saying...... I do have a Mason Revolution coming. The ride quality on the frame was awesome and well suited to my London commute. I also was hugely impressed by Dom, the workmanship and company.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Deadly :D
    Think I'd go with the Madone 8) (I'm a 19yr old racer.)
    Although that Parlee paint job is unreal. :shock:
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • stongle
    madone_p1_sparkle.jpg?1454004306

Actual colour

madone_p1_5.jpg?1454003717

Actual front end, showing the internal routing and a bit of the funny stem / spacers. The doors also open when cornering prob due to the internal cabling.

madone_p1_LIGHT_web.jpg?1454004271

Obligatory arty shot.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
  • Is that a unique paint job? What did that add to the price if that's not a bit vulgar?
  • stongle
    Is that a unique paint job? What did that add to the price if that's not a bit vulgar?
    No, it's not unique. It's from the standard project one pallet. I had a 7.9 in US Vapor coat which is offensively expensive, and fragile as you like. You'd be hard pressed to tell the 2 apart.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,169
    I'm intrigued... by your electricity sockets that is...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I'm intrigued... by your electricity sockets that is...

Would I be correct in assuming that you don't have kids?