Cheap SPD?

reefer110
reefer110 Posts: 19
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm after a cheapish set of SPD's, could anyone suggest something that fits the bill and won't fall to pieces after 5 mins? Some shoes are also in order, but preferably some that could be used off-road also. I'm not too keen on SPD's for MTB use, but seeing as I want some for the road bike I'd like to get some dual use from them if possible.

TIA

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Shimano M520.

Cheap.

Bombproof.
  • reefer110
    17 quid! Bargain indeed, thanks very much. Now for the shoes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mm, the only problem with M520s is the fact that they never seem to wear out. They just keep turning, again and again and again with no maintenance whatsoever. Working perfectly all the time whatever the weather, clip in/clip out, clip in/clip out. It is not the way things should be. The M540s are just as 'bad' but just a little lighter/smoother, gah!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    mm, the only problem with M520s is the fact that they never seem to wear out. They just keep turning, again and again and again with no maintenance whatsoever. Working perfectly all the time whatever the weather, clip in/clip out, clip in/clip out. It is not the way things should be. The M540s are just as 'bad' but just a little lighter/smoother, gah!

True, only thing mildly tempting me to get the 540's is the reduction in weight an slightly nicer spin. Saying that if you regrease it with a teflon based grease they are pretty spinny.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ditto. M520 on one bike and 540 on the other (preferred the colour cos it matched the groupset for tarty reasons)

Just serviced the 540s after 8½ years use. Nice that you just need spanners, not the plastic Shimano tool. Quite satisfying watching the clean grease displace the residual dirt / old grease as you tighten them up again. Should be good for another decade!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    reefer110 wrote:

I have a set of M088 which I've been using for 2 years now and still going strong.

This is the modern version http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m089-sp ... -wide-fit/
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Another one with 540's here. had them for what, 5 years or more and they only get a shot of GT85 every now and again.

I still use some shimano DX SPD's on the mountain bike that are 19 years old. I did regrease them last year, but that was only because i chucked them in the parts washer at work and it washed some of the grease out.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Got 520's (bought second-hand)on the Planet X commuter and even with loads of neglect they are still fine,look tatty but that's it really.Did think about giving them a re-furb over the Easter break but as they are still working ok I left it,just gave them a clean and removed some odd rust patches and they are fine.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • marcusjb
    In tens of thousands of years, when some other lifeform comes and explores our dead and desolate planet, I reckon all that will be left is M520s.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    marcusjb wrote:
    In tens of thousands of years, when some other lifeform comes and explores our dead and desolate planet, I reckon all that will be left is M520s.

And they will all still work :D
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • reefer110
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be picking up a pair of M520's tomorrow. £16, can't go too far wrong for that money!
  • Am I the only person on the planet then that dislikes M520 / M540 pedals?

I found the both cliping in and release tension quite variable. Moved to Mavic / Time and not looked back.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    They are clunky but it's not a deal breaker when they are so cheap but last so long (no idea whether Mavics/Time tick these boxes). Saying that, I've got SPD XT on one bike and they much nicer to use than M520s.
  • markhewitt1978
    iPete wrote:
    They are clunky but it's not a deal breaker when they are so cheap but last so long (no idea whether Mavics/Time tick these boxes). Saying that, I've got SPD XT on one bike and they much nicer to use than M520s.

I have 520 on my turbo bike (indoor only) and outside I use M980 XTR pedals and they are much nicer to clip in and out of and much less clunky. According to Strava they've done 6,300 miles, still work perfectly with zero maintenance and if they fell apart I would get another set.
  • iPete
    Totally, I want to update both bikes to XT but can't justify until the M520s fall apart which will be never :lol:
  • marcusjb
    I've XT and XTR on bikes, have had 520s and 540s on other bikes in the past.

The action is marginally more positive on the higher priced units, but not much!

Of course there's the weight differences (current Wiggle pricing listed as well):

M520 - 420g (£16.99)
    M540 - 352g (£29.99)
    M8000 (XT) - 338g (£49.99)
    M9000 (XTR) - 310g (£68.99)

Going off that (and I know there are other small differences between each of the pedals with regards to platform engagement, mud shedding etc.), the M540 look to be the sweet spot for weight and price.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    marcusjb wrote:

The action is marginally more positive on the higher priced units, but not much!

Of course there's the weight differences (current Wiggle pricing listed as well):

M520 - 420g (£16.99)
    M540 - 352g (£29.99)

Going off that (and I know there are other small differences between each of the pedals with regards to platform engagement, mud shedding etc.), the M540 look to be the sweet spot for weight and price.

Yepp, that's pretty much the same conclusion that I came to and I now use the 540s on most of my bikes but still have some 520s on one and another pair as spare.
  • markhewitt1978
    marcusjb wrote:

M520 - 420g (£16.99)
    M540 - 352g (£29.99)

Nice summary. I knew the M540 was a bit better but didn't realise the weight difference was quite so much.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have just got a pair of 540 pedals from Merlin -- £23.50 with cleats!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Cheap AND light.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... -pro-pedal

Time will tell how long they last!
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    reefer110 wrote:

I have a set of M088 which I've been using for 2 years now and still going strong.

This is the modern version http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m089-sp ... -wide-fit/

I like the M088s a lot and used them happily for some 10,000km until the seams started to go (they now live in the office for use on the gym wattbike). I am less a fan of the M089s which I got to replace them, the ratchet levers/mechs don't feel as nice, the cross straps are a bit fiddly, and, most importantly, they don't come with red accents, meaning that they are slower. :wink:

Agree re 520s. Fit and forget.
  • reefer110
    I picked up some M520's a couple of days back. Now for the shoes, anyone use these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m089-sp ... ike-shoes/
  • iPete
    I use MO65 which literally can last tens of thousands of miles. I chose these based on fit, best thing you can do is buy from a local store.

They'll be perfectly capable shoes.
  • markhewitt1978
    reefer110 wrote:
    I picked up some M520's a couple of days back. Now for the shoes, anyone use these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m089-sp ... ike-shoes/

I have the M088 which I think are pretty much the same just the previous version. Been using them since early 2014 and they are still going strong, no plans to replace them yet!

Note that Shimano fit shoes are pretty narrow, I had to send mine back and get the wide fit version.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Am I the only person on the planet then that dislikes M520 / M540 pedals?

I found the both cliping in and release tension quite variable. Moved to Mavic / Time and not looked back.

Nope, I hate them too.

To be fair its probably peoples sheep like reaction to them that is the main problem for me.

I prefer egg beaters/candy 1's myself.
    Sure you have to service them, but they are a much better design/product.

Maybe you found the tension 'variable' because they have two completely separate mechanisms per pedal (so one hanging underneath/unused all the time) :shock:

They remind me of a bear trap...... or actually two bear traps fused together!

But they are cheap, and you do get free entry into the 'arnt M520's great' club :wink:
  • iPete
    So very hipster of you ;)

I don't think anyone loves M520s, do they? The OP asked for cheap SPD, look no further.

Toying with getting rid of mine soon, missed a few XT and XTRs bargains on Ebay.
    Out of curiosity what are the service intervals on egg beaters/candy 1's?
  • Anonymous
    Not sure, have them on various bikes and just service them every now and then depending on how much abuse they have had.

I have a spare pair so can just swap over and then service them when I have 5 min.

It's quite therapeutic.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Picked up some M520s over 10 years ago for about £10. I never had to service them,adjust them, not had any comfort issues with them and used them for well over 10000+ miles. So I am with the 1500+ sheep who gave a positive review on wiggle.
  • Anonymous
    Nothing wrong with that, and I am very happy for you.
    Be happy for me having found something better which I enjoy more though eh :wink:

I don't think you understand the sheep comment properly lol
    There is nothing wrong with liking something, but all getting together to bleat about it in order to confirm how great (even if not) your purchase decision was is very sad IMO.

Am not saying you have done that, but it happens a lot with certain things.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    oldbazza wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

And they will all still work :D

Not true, I am the one person whose 520s packed up, started seizing when clipped in so I couldn't clip out!

Solution: a new pair, threw old ones in metal bin at local tip

NOTE: bike left in station overnight, and in bike shed in day, so exposed to cold at all times

It's just a hill. Get over it.